SpaceDaily has a story out of Australia about a company called AstroVision
using Apple's technology to provide real-time, full-color, high-res images and video of planet Earth in all her glory
. Apparently AstroVision (which has nothing to do with the dog from the Jetsons) has been working with Apple Australia for a while on this project, which will create a supercomputer from Xserves, and using Xgrid and QuickTime, provide those beautiful images we all love to digg. According to the article, Apple Australia will provide:
- construction of a state of the art High Performance Computing (HPC) environment using Apple's Unix-based Xserves and Xgrid computing software
- expertise in design and development of HPCs for parallel computing
- QuickTime, the global digital media standard
- an architecture for online distribution of multimedia content
- the research and design for the development of new consumer electronics products and product channels.