Wired magazine's David Kushner explores the likely shift from disc media to downloading games and how it could revive the gaming industry. From the article: "Flexible, downloadable games like SingStar are a hint of what the entire gaming industry will look like five years from now. Digital distribution and ultrawideband Web connections have the potential to eliminate the need for discs entirely, yet console makers are still engaged in a disc format war – the PS3 will ship with a Blu-ray drive, and Microsoft is releasing an HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360... That struggle, however, is ultimately meaningless."
Said Sony's Phil Harrison: "I'd be amazed if the PlayStation 4 has a physical disc drive."
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25
Nintendo Wii console
Microsoft Xbox 360