This round-up will be updated as more information continues to leak out and be collected. Notice anything we forgot or got wrong? Send us a tip.
(All information from Nintendo unless otherwise noted)
[Update 1: added Canadian price]
[Update 2: updated region-protection details]
[Update 3: A/V output and Mexican price added]
|Launch Details||N. America||Japan||Europe / Britain||Australia|
|Date||Nov. 19||Dec. 2||Dec. 8
|System||$249.99* / $279.95CAN
||¥25,000||€249 / £179
||$49.99** / $59.95CAN
||¥4800-6800||€49-59 / £34-39||?|
|2000 Wii Points***
||$20 / $24CAN
||¥2000||€20 / £14||?|
||$39.99||¥3800||€39 / £29||?|
|Nunchuck / Classic Controller||$19.99||¥1800||€19 / £14||?|
||20 - 30
||16 (list below)
||15 - 20||?|
|Launch "window" games****||52 (full list)||27
* - One Mexican retailer is advertising the system for 4,490 pesos (Approx. $402) [Update 3]
** - Only confirmed for first-party games. Third-party games may be priced differently.
*** - Virtual console titles will cost 500 points (NES), 800 points (SNES) and 1000 points (N64)
**** - Numbers are tentative and subject to change. For our purposes, launch window is launch through Dec. 31, 2006
Included in the box: (all regions unless otherwise noted)
- Wii Console (white)
- Wii Remote with strap
- Wii AC Adapter
- Wii Stereo AV Cable
- Wii Stand
- Wii Stand Plate
- Wii Sensor Bar
- Sensor Bar Stand
- 2x AA Batteries
- Wii Sports (not included in Japan)
First party Wii games will be region free. For third-party games it will be up to the publisher.Nintendo has confirmed that Wii games will actually be region-encoded. [Update 2]
- The system has "an AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video" according to wii.com. It is not clear what standard(s) the included cable supports [Update 3]
- The system will not feature DVD playback as previously stated.
- Internet connectivity is free, but the Opera browser will need to be bought and downloaded for an undisclosed price.
- Newly unveiled Wii Channels will allow online news and weather reports, e-mail and message boards, as well as photo viewing/editing and avatar creation.
- Nintendo aims to sell 4 million systems worldwide by the end of the calendar year and 6 million systems by the end of March '07
- Full list of planned Wii games in North America
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will be available at launch for all territories. The GameCube version goes on sale Dec. 11.
- Marquee Nintendo franchises Mario, Metroid and Smash Bros. are not expected until 2007.
- Anywhere from 15 to 60 virtual console titles will be available by the end of the year (depending on the report/region). Nintendo promises ten new virtual console games per month after that.
- Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 will be available for the U.S. virtual console at launch.
- Metroid Prime 3 has a new control scheme geared towards expert players.
- Wii Sports has two new sub-games, bowling and boxing.
- UbiSoft revealed five previously unannounced games for the U.S. launch: Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII, Far Cry: Vengeance, GT Pro Series, Monster 4x4: World Circuit, and Open Season
- Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
- Wii Sports
- Wii Play
- Red Steel
- SD Gundam Revolution
- "Ennichi no Tastsujin"
- Trauma Center: Second Opinion
- Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
- Pangya Golf
- Wing Island
- "Machariku Domino"
- Key specs
- Reviews • 330
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 512 MB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Camera / optical
- Video outputs Component, RCA / composite, S-Video
- Weight 2.65 lb
- Released 2006-11-19