Though Microsoft Taiwan denied the rumor, the report suggests that the move is intended to equip the Xbox 360 premium sku with the external HD-DVD drive that costs $200. So in essence, this means the company would need to reduce the price of their premium console and their newly announced HD-DVD drive by $100 each. That ain't happening. Granted, the console is nearly a year-old, so while the possibility of reduced part costs is plausible, the possibility of a Microsoft price drop is another question altogether.
Still, a 360 price drop this year could put the damper royal on both Sony's and Nintendo's plans, however unlikely.
See also: Rumor: new, cheaper Xbox 360 this holiday
[Thanks, Jeremy; via Play Girlz]
- Key specs
- Reviews • 18
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25
Nintendo Wii console
Microsoft Xbox 360