How about this: let's match the Cell up against a triple core 3+ Ghz PowerPC. Are we really looking at "the future" then?
But let's forget about PCs for the moment; just focus on console gaming. So the PS3's packing a lot of potential, right? But who's exploiting it? Are you willing to believe -- as the "Smarter" ad implies -- that Incognito has assigned programmers to render unique air currents into Warhawk? Are you willing to believe that it's just space, 50 GB to be exact, that's needed to bring virtual worlds to life? Sure, that's unrivaled capacity, but how many tens of millions of dollars will need to be spent on art assets to fill it? It's not just "time" that's holding back the PS3, it's money.
[Thanks, Colin; via TechEBlog]
"Play B3yond - Capacity" (Blu-ray):
"Play B3yond - Smarter" (Cell processor):
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25