This news should not, however, get your hopes up for a price drop in the near future. The PlayStation 3 continues to be a hefty loss leader for Sony, estimated to cost $840 to manufacture. Sony is also gearing up to rip the PS2 hardware out of the PS3s to help with the European launch.
Historically, consoles have never seen a price drop in its first year. Will the rumored 2009 price drop, coinciding with the 45nm Cell chip, prove fruitful? It's certainly a lot more likely than seeing the console slash prices anytime soon.
[Via Engadget; thanks, Michael Chomiczewski]
- Key specs
- Reviews • 18
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25