Up until now, Foxconn Precision Components has been the sole manufacturer behind the Wii's assembly. Nintendo hopes to increase its production by taking on an additional manufacturing partner, researching offers from Asustek Computer, Compal Electronics, Inventec, and Wistron.
It's great that Nintendo is looking to increase the amount of systems it ships out, but how long will it be before we see the benefits of this partnership? It was already evident that the Wii's supply was constrained months ago -- why didn't Nintendo bring in a new manufacturer then?
[Via Next Generation]
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 512 MB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Camera / optical
- Video outputs Component, RCA / composite, S-Video
- Weight 2.65 lb
- Released 2006-11-19