The $3.32 billion investment, which includes the monolithic system's complete development and introduction, "may not be fully recovered," according to Sony. The manufacturer warned that should the PlayStation 3 fail to reach "favorable market penetration", it would have a "significant negative impact" on the company's profitability.
While the cost may seem astronomically high, especially compared to the JoyStack, we've seen rival manufacturers taking their sweet time to reach profitability (a top priority for Sony). The race is a long one -- and we've seen each competitor's fortunes improve over the last year.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 18
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25