BlizzCon is this week and we are excited! After a couple months of preparing, it's time to make sure all our murlocs are in a row. Are you prepared? Let's find out:
- Do you have a place to stay? Of course, you should have reserved your room first thing, but if you didn't or if your plans have changed, there is still hope. People have canceled, so you may find some luck there. Also, big city is big. Even though you may not find a room next to the Anaheim Convention Center, there are still plenty of places to stay within an easy driving distance. Try your favorite online travel site for the best last minute deals.
- Are you getting there by plane, train or automobile? Here are some last minute travel tips. If you are taking a train, you can carry a ton of luggage with you -- checked or carry-on. But I still recommend traveling light. Lugging big bags around is hard on the gaming hands.
- How fat is your wallet? Of course, I'm not being literal. It's just not safe to carry around a wad of cash. But hopefully you have saved enough spending money to cover the many things that your going to want to purchase. Last minute tip: If you have access to a car, driving a bit away from Disneyland will get you cheaper prices on food and a wider variety.
- Are you in shape for the lines? If not, now is a bit too late to get started. If you haven't been working out and start a rigorous training plan just before the con, you will find yourself in pain, tired and possibly injured for BlizzCon instead of standing in line issue-free. Walking reasonable distances will still help, but don't overdo it.
- Are your shoes comfy and worn in? I am not exaggerating when I say that standing in lines on painted cement can be excruciating, particularly if you are not used to it. Last minute tip: There are inexpensive insoles available that provide the appropriate support for standing on hard surfaces. Get the right size range and cut them to fit.
- How is your immune system? Concrud is no laughing matter. Diet change, lack of sleep, exposure to international germs -- your immune system is about to get hammered. Last minute tip: Start taking a supplement like Airborne now and continue throughout the con. Those extra vitamins will help you fight off the nasties.
- Do you have your minicards? I can't recommend them enough for any kind of convention. Last minute tip: Get some business card stock from an office supply store and print your own.
- Are you wearing a costume? Not everyone who registered online will show up, so if you didn't make it before the deadline, there is still a chance you can enter the contest at the con.
- Is your suitcase packed? Remember to pack light, but leave room for your purchases. Last minute tip: This may sound silly, but packing a talisman from home to place on your hotel dresser will reduce the mental stress of traveling. Business travelers have been doing this since... well the advent of business travel. Whether it is a picture of absent family, a sock monkey (link is NSFW and obscuref), or an action figure from your desk --a small reminder of home will make you feel a little less displaced.
- Is your BlizzCon pack ready? Don't make it too heavy and leave enough room for your goody bag on the first day. International travel tip: Prepaid cellphones are available at all major stores -- some for as cheap as $15. Rather than paying roaming charges, just pick up a "disposable" phone for your stay here.
- Are you well groomed? Thank you in advance. But rest assured, there will be funk.
- How is your tolerance? Tolerance and patience -- you're going to need it for the real-life trolls. Just as on the internet, though, don't feed them.
- Are you attending virtually? There is still time to sign up and pay the appropriate fees. But if you don't want to pay for BlizzCon coverage, WoW.com will be covering everything from top to bottom with up to the second live blogging and posting throughout the day (we'll have a whopping 15 people on the ground). Other sites such as All Things Azeroth, Twisted Nether Blogcast, and WoW Radio will also be there to bring you BlizzCon goodness.
And don't forget the meetup on Thursday! See you there!
BlizzCon 2009 is coming up on August 21st and 22nd! We've got all the latest news and information. At BlizzCon, you can play the latest games, meet your guildmates, and ask the developers your questions. Plus, there are some great looking costumes.