Some of you may have noticed that some of your screensavers don't work after upgrading to Snow Leopard. If you're running a 64-bit instance of the operating system, you won't be able to use most of your old third-party screensavers because they're probably not compatible. Many of our favorite screensavers weren't working... so instead of waiting for the developers to release them in 64-bit, we decided to see what else was out there.
iSight Screensavers from Majic Jungle (the creators of FluidTunes) isn't new, but it's something we've never covered here on TUAW. It was one that showed up first in our search and ended up killing our productivity for the rest of the day. And the next day. In fact, we've not really recovered productivity since we clicked the "test" button in System Preferences.
Majic Jungle has made a killer screensaver that allows you to interact with different effects and filters using the iSight camera, or any webcam attached to your mac. I won't get into the countless scenarios we created (we're pretty easily entertained), but here's a list of interactions from the creators' site to help explain what it does:
- Fluid - Play with a beautiful fluid dynamics simulation
- Particles - Create magical looking brightly colored particles wherever you move
- Champagne - Immerse yourself in a champagne world and watch as bubbles appear all over you
- Fire - Set yourself or your desktop on fire - in a painless kind of way!
- Water - Ripples appear wherever you move
- Flipping Grid - Can you get all of the squares to flip over together?
- Core Image - Over 30 configurable effects using powerful Core Image filters