Update: The document has been pulled. We've added the full text after the break.
[Via Gamesindustry.biz, thanks DarKlar]
Read [Warning: FTP link]
Aug 6 2009 – DRAFT FOR COMMENTS
Objectives of Meeting
* Dyer agreed to regular quarterly meetings with SOA
* SCEA reiterated plans to sell 13 million PS3s this year
* Big announcement back half of year they can't talk about (potentially price cut of PS3 to reach hardware goals)
* SCEA commented on indexing between PS3 and 360 SKUs, should be around 2:1 to garner most favorable treatment.
* Spring 2010 launch (March in JP)
* No bundle/pricing details yet, should come Sept 1
* Plan on selling 4-5MM units WW
* SCEA agreed to provide a list of Sega IP that would work well with the motion controller, Virtua Tennis was an example
* Motion Controller support allows easy way to differentiate PS3 SKU
* Other differentiation opportunities include PSP/PS3 interoperability – think of features that would make users want to buy both PS3 and PSP SKUs.
* Michael Foster, product evaluator, said AP felt barely RPG. Initial level too challenging for players. "Mass Effect felt more RPG."
* Review notes sent to John Merlino a few weeks prior. After meeting Gerald mentioned AP is a high priority for his team.
* Sell in of PS3 SKU – SCEA noted that other movie titles on PS3 had underperformed as well (inc. Transformers) this cycle.
* Dyer suggests contacting Susan at Walmart and asking what she wants in the pack to sell this SKU (movie tix etc)
* Other possibilities are Hybrid movie disc (BD 25 or 50 with Game and Movie on same disc).
* Collectors edition with Bayonetta Action Figure
* Novo recommended launching PSN demo around Xmas based off a Jan 5th Ship date with 2-3 week run out to launch.
* 3-4 weeks is usually ideal demo timing with fresh content every week leading up to launch (trailers, insider video about PG heritage, video blogs).
* HOME, Olympic destination would garner a lot of positive attention from SCEA
* Should be doing same with Bayonetta, Marvel etc. Easy to launch in all territories.
* HOME merchandizing opportunities (clothes etc).
* Open to DLC to differentiate PS3 SKU – not ratchet and clank but other characters
o maybe characters from Rare or Fable universes
* Could put Japanese games directly on PSN for download in a special Japanese Import section (pricing $9.99 to $39.99 for full game).
* Might need to localize menus at least with subtitles.
* SCEA interested in helping on MKTG side if they can have period of exclusivity.
* Another great HOME candidate
* AVP avatars
* Hybrid BD disc with movie
Iron Man 2
* Great candidate for HOME space – explore Tony Stark's lab etc.
* Should have one for Marvel in general.
* Could do bundle at GameStop with PSP 30-35K units on UMD, Go, or both.
* Could bundle with PSP as well.
Vanquish and Aliens: CM
* Opportunity for PS3/PSP interoperability (see Eidos Batman, Army of Two, Assassin's Creed for good examples).
* If we offer that SCEA would be really interested in having us at their booth next E3.
SCEA would like a look at the code soon.
* Could put out collectors edition with all old sonic games on one BD disc.
* "Best of Sonic" for around $99.
* SCEA would love PSN exclusive power ups/different game modes (like Castlevania's flip it over/backwards)
PS2 emulator for PS3 (confidential)
* SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN (GTA Vice City/Sonic/etc)
* For co Marketing money show PS3 controller on TV ads – similar to EA Madden Spots, NCAA, etc...
* Perfect opportunity for Motion Controller integration.
DC Digital Titles
* If we provide a list of DC titles SCEA will let us know which ones they're interested in having exclusively.
* If we give them a long period of exclusivity they'll give us more marketing support.
* For SKU differentiation it's best to offer features that are slightly different from PS3 version.
* Titles that are coming up on PSP are Assassin's Creed II, GTA China Wars, Resident Evil, Little Big Planet – all massive franchises.
* SCEA has a specific PSP deck which they can send up with their hardware director for a chat.