Gallagher said that it's a plan that Crystal Dynamics intends to continue with -- and one that other publishers will also pick up. The use of a smaller, downloadable game as a promotional device or stopgap release for a console game has been catching on even before Guardian of Light was announced, mostly with Capcom, whose Dark Void Zero and Bionic Commando Rearmed were released to warmer receptions than either of their disc-based counterparts.
Gallagher told Gamasutra that because downloadable games have shorter development cycles, they can be used to bring people into a franchise or keep it popular while the next major installment is still in development.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 365
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store
- Drive capacity 4 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Camera / optical
- Video outputs Component, HDMI (v1.4)
- Weight 10.9 lb
- Released 2010-08-03
Sony PlayStation 3 (late 2012)
Microsoft Xbox One