The gears that run the video game marketing machine are massive. Normally, things operate relatively smoothly. We've gotten used to information being dug up ahead of schedule, heck, that's why you come to humble little sites like ours. But the accidental Gears of War 3 announcement is something different.
It's one thing for a reveal to leak early, it's a whole other issue for it to be announced after intended. When plans change at the last minute – in this case, Gears main man Cliff Bleszinski getting bumped on Jimmy Fallon for Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber – it's hard to stop those gigantic gears of marketing from turning.
What's everyone playing this weekend?
- Alexander Sliwinski (@XanderSliwinski): Must play Heavy Rain. But I know I'll play Battlefield: Bad Company 2.
- Andrew Yoon (@scxzor): I am playing Blue Toad Murder Files. A terrific PSN game, something I'd call "a rich man's Professor Layton." It's so lovably British.
- Ben Gilbert (@BigBossBgilbert): My brain has only allowed me to focus on Bad Company 2. Anything else is being forced out, even though I want to continue my ventures through FFXIII and Mass Effect 2 (I'd also like to be able to eat and bathe again). Thanks a lot, brain!
- Christopher Grant (@ChrisGrant): Final Fantasy XIII and I are in the early stages of courtship and ... well, she's beautiful and all but, there's just not much of a spark, y'know? We've got another date this weekend; let's see if the magic happens.
- David Hinkle (@DaveHinkle): ...
- Griffin McElroy (@griffinmcelroy): I'll be playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 with my new (old) brothers in arms, and planning out the 4th edition D&D campaign I'm going to start running next week. (How jealous are you? You should be super, super jealous.)
- James Ransom-Wiley: Gonna try to wrap up this Origami Killer case.
- JC Fletcher (@jcfletcher) There's a lot of stuff I intend to play this weekend, but the problem with most of it is that it isn't Magic Sword.
- Justin McElroy (@JustinMcElroy): I'm going to try to get into that 3D Dot Hero Game Champ or whatever it's called. But those graphics look OLD.
- Kevin Kelly (@gadgetguy): BFBC2 keeps luring me in. When you play with a quality squad, that game rules. When you play with randoms, not so much. Am also still stuck in the StarCraft 2 beta, which is chock full of me getting my ass handed to me. Thinking about putting Demon's Souls back in rotation, too.
- Ludwig Kietzmann (@LudwigK): I'll be taking a jog through the gorgeous Final Fantunnel XIII, before taking a 3D detour through Dotnia.
- Mike Schramm (@MikeSchramm): I'm about halfway through Final Fantasy XIII, and I have so many interesting thoughts about it that instead of just two cents, I could probably give a full twenty cents to someone about the design of the game. That's right, I've got a paradigms.
- Randy Nelson (@DangerPenguin) I'm going to try and finally get a decent amount of Bad Company 2 multiplayer under my belt. Which reminds me: I should really buy a belt.
- Richard Mitchell (@SenseiRAM): I'd love to keep playing Mass Effect 2, but I can't seem to stop playing Bad Company 2. Beyond that, sporadic chunks of The Longest Journey whenever I can't get to my Xbox.
- Xav de Matos (@Xav): I'm going old school playing Final Fight: Double Impact this weekend, as well as taking the reins as the grizzled revenge-seeking soldier Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell: Conviction.
- Justin Glow (@justinglow): (Jammin' to the Biebs)