Note: If you take a while to get signatures on your charter, the people who signed your charter may go sign another or join a guild and then their signatures will disappear. So create your guild when you think you can get 9 signatures in a short period of time.
It's best to get a tabard early on, so that you can show your colors with pride.
- Go to the Guild Master.
- Design a Guild Crest. It's free to play with the creator, but it costs 10 gold to create the logo. Only the guild leader can buy or change the tabard design.
- Buy a tabard. The tabards cost a gold minus your faction discount.
Guild banks are called Guild Vaults and are located anywhere banks are. Each guild starts off with a guild bank, but no tabs. The tabs start at 100 gold, but go up to pretty big numbers as you add more. Only the guild leader can add tabs and change the permissions. It's important to note that just adding a tab does not automatically make it accessible to anyone but the guild leader. You must go into each rank and adjust the access.
Joining a guild
If you are not interested in creating and running your own guild, there are many different kinds and sizes of guilds out there.
Guild info overload
We have several series of articles that you can read about general guild info.
Guilds in Cataclysm
- Though We have a Tabard is not too recent, it still has excellent advice.
- Each week, Scott Andrews gives advice to guild officers and leaders in Officers' Quarters.
- Many of the topics that the Drama Mamas tackle are about dealing with guild drama.
Everything we thought we knew about guilds in the expansion changed recently.
What guilds don't have in WoW
If you are coming to Azeroth from another game or as a total MMO noob, there are some things you shouldn't expect to find here.
- Guild halls There are no immediate plans for player housing or guild halls.
- Automated guild fees You can dip into the bank to repair (if allowed), but there are no guild taxes or fees or any methods of automatically getting money for the guild bank from guildies.
- Cross-realm guilds Each guild is limited to one realm.
- Cross-faction guilds Each guild is also limited to one faction, much to the dismay of some people who just cannot bring themselves to play Horde in order to join the Choose My Adventure fun.
- The ability to manage guilds larger than 500 members The roster bugs out when guilds grow past 500 members. You can't see everyone who is online or in guild. Sure, this doesn't affect too many guilds. But if you join us on Zangarmarsh, don't expect to show up in the guild roster right away. Hopefully, this will be fixed in Cataclysm, but there is no official word.
- Official guild alliances or rivalries Though you can have as many unofficial alliances or rivalries you want using your own methods, there is no way to declare another guild your ally or rival in game.
- Guild color schemes We get a tabard and in the expansion, we will be able to get a mount that has a flag with the guild logo on it, but we don't have guild color schemes that we can paint on our armor.
Are there any other things you can do with guilds in other MMOs that you can't do in WoW
? Let us know in the comments.
Visit the WoW Rookie Guide for links to all our tips, tricks and how-to's. WoW Rookie walks you through all sort of new-player concerns, from game lingo for the beginner to joining your first guild as a mid-level player and on to what to do when you finally hit level 80.