This week we delivered one crazy news story after another, but nothing quite compared to the rollercoaster drama that befell Realtime World's shoot-'em-up MMO All Points Bulletin, which was declared dead and done late last week. We sat back and munched popcorn while the drama unfolded and the game lurched from story to story: first a promising new patch, then a sudden closure, then a possible purchase by Epic Games. No doubt we've not heard the end of the APB saga, but in the meantime all we can do is lament the sunsetting of a flawed yet creative MMO... and maybe play some other games.
Join us after the break for a recap of this week's other top posts!
- EVE Online player steals $45,000 worth of ISK in massive investment scam
Let the buyer beware... if an investment scheme sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- The Tattered Notebook: Behind enemy lines
Jef ventured into enemy territory -- the dangerous realm of the EverQuest II Extended beta.
- Free for All: Turbine's pristine payment plan perfects pay-to-win
Beau explained why Lord of the Rings Online is pay-to-win; why pay-to-win is a silly term; and why it's not so bad anyway.
- Wings Over Atreia: First impressions of the assault
Listen up, Daevas! MJ delivered her first impressions of Aion's most recent expansion, Assault on Balaurea.
- First Impressions: LEGO Universe's Forbidden Valley
Krystalle brought us a detailed look at the newest zone to emerge from behind the veil of LEGO Universe's NDA: the ninja-themed Forbidden Valley.
- Flameseeker Chronicles: Why ArenaNet stands out
Rubi analyzed ArenaNet's successful "when it's done" development strategy for Guild Wars 2.
- Pirates of the Burning Sea to go F2P with next expansion
Flying Lab Software announced that its flagship (har har) pirate MMO will go free-to-play in the near future.
- Clone Wars Adventures launches with new trailer
SOE officially launched its kid-friendly Star Wars browser game in tandem with a new season of Clone Wars.
- Phantasy Star Online 2 announced at the Tokyo Game Show
Sega announced plans to revive the old-school Phantasy Star franchise with another MMO-flavored sequel.
- Exclusive RIFT reveal: The Kelari race!
A day before the crowds, we got a sneak-peek at the newest race to be unveiled for Trion's upcoming Rift: Planes of Telara.
- CCP to take the mask off of World of Darkness at The Grand Masquerade
Rumors mounted that the supernatural-horror MMO might be revealed at the upcoming White Wolf convention in New Orleans.
- Hyperspace Beacon: Testing the SWTOR waters
Larry summed up his PAX hands-on with the upcoming Star Wars: The Old Republic.
- Come snag a Vindictus beta key and cover yourself in the blood of your enemies!
We gave away 4,000 beta keys in time for the open beta launch of Nexon's new F2P title, Vindictus. The giveaway is closed now, but you might still be able to pick up a key from a kind soul in our chat room.
- Rumor: Cataclysm targeted for a November 2 release date
Rumors swirled that World of Warcraft's Cataclysm expansion will release on Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010.
- Major Cataclysm currency changes
Blizzard announced plans to turn the heroic instance and PvP currency systems upside down in a pre-Cataclysm patch.
- WoW.com is moving to wow.joystiq.com
Our sister site slid across the Joystiq network (of which we're also a part) and got a new domain name.