This week, far and away our biggest story -- stories! -- focused on Square-Enix's newest blockbuster, Final Fantasy XIV, which launched for pre-order players on Wednesday. To celebrate, we offered up our FFXIV guide for WoW players, a guide to crafting and harvesting in FFXIV, and first impressions of the game from Eliot Lefebvre and Beau Hindman. Of course, you fired back and told our Final Fantasy fanboys that they were crazy, which just goes to show how wild and varied the tastes of MMO players are. Some people juggle geese! Still undecided? Make up your mind with a peek into our livestream of the game, hosted by our own Seraphina Brennan.
Or join me after the break for a rundown of this week's other top stories!
- The Extended Experience of Guild Wars 2: Taking Tyria outside of your PC
We took a look at the planned smartphone and slate app for ArenaNet's upcoming Guild Wars 2.
- Mmmmmm... SWTOR smuggler video
Well said, Larry! We got a great sneak-peek at Star Wars: The Old Republic's smuggler class!
- EVE Online: Incursion coming this winter, Incarna scheduled for summer 2011 release
In a flurry of announcements, CCP finally attached hard dates to both of its upcoming expansions.
- Free for All: Five popular cash-shop item types
Beau highlighted the top five "tiny purchases" he thinks are worth your microtransaction dollars.
- Exclusive TERA look at a day in the life of a sorcerer
We landed an exclusive look at the lore of the sorcerer in En Masse's upcoming MMO.
- WAR celebrates second anniversary, Wasteland Diaries: A year? Already?, A year in the life of Aion
Three triple-A titles celebrated birthdays this week; we toasted them with retrospectives.
- Rift: Planes of Telara introduces the Plane of Life
Yet another otherworldly plane destined for Trion's upcoming Rift MMO was revealed.
- World of Darkness confirmed, based on Vampire: The Masquerade
We got our first smattering of concrete details regarding CCP's upcoming supernatural horror MMO.
- Guild chat coming to the Mobile Armory app
For three bucks a month, players will be able to guild-chat in-game from their mobile devices and the web.
- Blizzard announces automated account recovery form for hacked accounts
Even Blizzard doesn't want to waste live customer service on fixing your hacked accounts!
- Amazon just sent out a bunch of emails about Cataclysm's release date
The online retail giant set Cataclysm's launch for November 23rd.