It's not every day that the Massively staffers get to report on Blizzard's gargantuan World of Warcraft -- that task is usually left to our sister site, WoW Insider. Yet it's hard to deny that this week WoW's Cataclysm expansion is generating the loudest buzz, and even we got caught up in the excitement. Blizzard delivered a one-two punch in the form of two announcements: an official launch date for the Cataclysm expansion (December 7th), and a revelation that WoW has reached 12 million concurrent subscribers globally. Not too shabby for a game that's looking a bit long in the tooth!
Join us past the break for a look at this week's other top (non-WoW!) stories.
- Squaring off with SWG's producer, SWG's Community Manager on in-game events
We interviewed SOE's Tony "Teesquared" Tyson and Lydia "Zatozia" Pope about the future of Star Wars Galaxies.
- Guild Wars Hall of Monuments details revealed for Guild Wars 2
Guild Wars players finally learned how their hard work will pay off in ArenaNet's sequel.
- DC Universe Online delayed until early 2011
SOE's superhero MMO was pushed from November to early next year.
- Braaaaainssss: First details about Undead Labs' zombie MMO revealed
We got our first look into the first true zombie MMO!
- Burnout: Report says Chinese gamers losing interest in MMOs
Easterners and Westerners alike are said to be increasingly turning to casual, social gaming.
- Layoffs rumored to hit Paragon Studios
The NCsoft studio of City of Heroes fame admitted to layoffs on the heels of Going Rogue.
- Hell freezes over as Darkfall's latest expansion takes a bow
A new expansion was announced for the notorious hardcore sandbox.
- LotRO's revenues double, The Road to Mordor: The Codemasters conundrum
Turbine proved going free-to-play was a smart move, but Justin revealed how the company's European partner just can't keep up.
- SWTOR's Ilum a crystal-clear win for the Sith
BioWare revealed another planet for the upcoming Star Wars game.
- Capsuleer iPhone app for EVE ceases development, CCP responds
The venerable app was officially canceled.
- The Game Archaeologist and the Asheron Recall: The highlights
Justin celebrated Turbine's oldest game's 11th birthday with a look at its key innovations.
- Introducing: The Soapbox!
We posted about the new op-ed column we're launching next week!
- BlizzCon 2010 schedule of events unveiled
WoW Insider will have a whole pack of frothing bloggers in attendance!
- New 600-member hard cap imposed on guilds, Guild cap revised, now 1,000 members
Blizzard announced plans to cap guilds to avoid potential issues with the new guild perks.
- Battle.net authenticators limited to one account
More security changes are on the way for the authenticator system.