This week, Massively suffered a severe affliction... con-fever! Four brave adventurers took on the New York Comic Con in the Northeast and the Game Developer's Conference in Austin, Texas, filling our pages with stories of their wild exploits. We got scoops on DC Universe Online (twice!), Final Fantasy XIV, City of Heroes, World of Tanks, All Points Bulletin, Ultima Online, Gods and Heroes, Iris Online and Allods, UTV's new games including Faxion Online, and CCP's blockbuster trio of EVE, Dust, and World of Darkness. Then we dipped into the meta, offering interviews with personalities like Richard Bartle and Cinco Barnes; overviews of topics like MMO longevity, voice integration, browser games, and freemium games; and summations of the more interesting developer panels. Even our podcasters and commenters got in on the action!
While we recover, take a peek past the break for a roundup of this week's other top stories!
- The Road to 50: A guide to filling your Guild Wars Hall of Monuments
Rubi kicked off a week-long series of guides on pimping your GW Hall of Monuments for maximum GW2 benefit.
- Massively interviews Champions Online's Shannon Posniewski
We interviewed Poz on the future of Cryptic's superhero MMO.
- The negativity song, Final Fantasy XIV grants players a month of freedom
Eliot's summary of FFXIV's problems comes just in time for Square-Enix to grant subbers a freebie month.
- Questionable EVE attack deals 30 billion ISK in damage
We saw yet another in a long string of massive PvP losses in CCP's space sandbox.
- Massively Exclusive: Earthrise's Atanas Atanasov on PvE, banking, chat, and more
Jef interviewed the folks behind the upcoming sci-fi sandbox, Earthrise.
- The Soapbox: Don't hate the game, hate the copy
Our new rotating op-ed column debuted, refuting the blame heaped on World of Warcraft for other games' failures.
- Vindictus announces official launch date
We learned that Nexon's newest hack-and-slash F2P game will launch on October 27th.
- Blogger claims to be Mythic employee, tells "Why Warhammer Failed"
An alleged Mythic employee added some unconfirmed company drama to Warhammer's saga.
- Massively tours EverQuest's House of Thule expansion
Sera got the grand tour through the newest expansion to hit one of the oldest classic MMOs.
- A Mild-Mannered Reporter: Steal me
We posted the top five things we wish City of Heroes would steal from other games.
- Rumor: Final Fantasy XIV draws a $26 million ragequit
A Japanese investor unhappy with FFXIV reportedly cashed in $26 million in Square-Enix stocks.
- Waging WAR: The new RvR... Are we there yet?
Greg discussed the major changes coming to Warhammer PvP.
- Official 4.0.1 patch notes
The last major patch before Cataclysm hit the live servers Tuesday, bringing with it as many cheers as jeers. Is your UI prepared?
- Cataclysm: Official reforging preview
Blizzard posted a look at WoW's new gear customization feature.
- New streaming launcher available soon
WoW got a revamped launcher to allow for customization and patch streaming.