This week, Massively celebrated its third year online with a bundle of birthday posts and features. The cake's all gone by now, but we've still got something to show for it: a look at the staff's favorite posts over the last three years and a rundown of all our former writers who now work in the MMO industry proper (it can be done!). Then our lovely readers asked us questions for a change in the birthday Daily Grind, and we answered you in Ask Massively before moving on to party in One Shots and scramble for the last slice of virtual cake over in Massively Speaking. Thank you to all of our readers for your birthday wishes! We hope to be delivering MMO news and columns to you in another three years... and another three after that... and on and on!
Join me past the break for a look at this week's other top stories!
- Icebound: An exclusive survey of Rift's Iron Pine Peak
We got an amazing sneak-peek at Rift: Planes of Telara's newest snow-blanketed zone.
- Exclusive: Aion's Beshmundir Temple goes hard mode
NCsoft allowed us to pre-publish a lengthy official guide.
- BioWare doctors "disappointed" in EA Louse, The Old Republic expounds on crafting and PvP, Warzones and Wizard's rename
We followed a huge week for SWTOR news!
- Flameseeker Chronicles: I can't hear you, I have a pumpkin on my head!
Rubi tackled the problem of over-entitled, angry Guild Wars fans.
- Undead Labs: Current MMOs are "barely even games", Jack Emmert says subscription MMOs have to prepare to beat WoW
Controversial remarks from several noted game developers brought on a raging debate.
- Personality or progression: WAR's 1.4.0 patch offers a choice
EA began selling levels in Warhammer for $10 a pop, almost overshadowing the game's playable Skaven classes.
- DC Universe reveals Tomorrow District, today; More DCUO PvP screens
We landed an amazing video and several screenshots of SOE's superhero game's newest content.
- EVE extended downtime has some unfortunate consequences
Brendan unraveled the newest EVE Online "conspiracy."
- Vindictus takes a look at casting with Evie
Nexon revealed a smashing video of Evie the mage.
- Free for All: The camera control blues (or how I judge thee, F2P grinder)
The readers chimed in with Beau to highlight the poor controls in many MMOs.
- MMO Family: A parent's look at LEGO Universe
Lisa examined the new LEGO MMO from a parent's perspective.
- The Soapbox: You have an hour to grab my attention
Shawn took on the Soapbox column for a look at MMO instant-gratification.
- Elementals are attacking Azeroth
Cataclysm's pre-launch world event began!
- Returning to World of Warcraft to play Cataclysm
A newbie's guide to re-entering Blizzard's popular MMO.
- Blizzard announces phase 2 of region-wide battlegroup matching
Plans to merge the battlegroups continued.
- World of Warcraft community site preview now live
Blizzard unveiled its brand-new forums and portal.