I seem to recall spending far too many moons staring into this blasted spellbook as I "meditated" and regained my mana stores. SOE's EverQuest, along with the rest of the genre, has come a staggeringly long way since the early days of punishing and tedious gameplay elements like meditation. And yet MMO veterans keep looking back. Call it a result of unrepentant nostalgia if you like, but players stormed EQ's new Fippy Darkpaw progression server this week in the hopes of gaming like it's 1999 -- so many players, in fact, that SOE had to clone a second progression server to keep up with the demand. Is this the start of a new wave of retro MMOs and classic shards, or will new shinies lure all those players back to the future?
Join me past the break for a look at this week's other top stories! [Loading, please wait...]
- Bungie's MMOFPS named Destiny
Rumors about Bungie's "WoW in space" MMO came to light.
- "We were wrong": Radiance's failure, Undelete your DDO or LotRO character
Turbine received cheers about the death of radiance and jeers over new cash-shop services.
- Community Detective Issue #19: DC Universe Online (PS3 edition)
Jef took a swing at SOE's inadequate DCUO PS3 customer service.
- Massively's first impressions of Wakfu
Beau nabbed our first look at Dofus' worthy successor.
- Champions Online gains profits and players as a free-to-play
Cryptic's F2P superhero game reveled in its recent successes.
- Free for All: Playing pretend and the Vanguard F2P experiment
Beau considered what would happen if Vanguard went free-to-play.
- RIFT trailer shows off dynamic invasions, The home stretch, Pre-launch checklist
Trion offered up patch notes and a new trailer; we delivered our final-countdown to-do list.
- FusionFall gets new nanos and more
We got an exclusive look at FusionFall's newest revamp.
- Flameseeker Chronicles: We're only human
Rubi rounded up and analyzed last week's GW2 human week.
- Alter-Ego: DCUO's console conundrum
Krystalle tackled DCUO's console MMO resale controversy.
- CCP taking the first steps into EVE's Incarna
A new devblog previewed the first glimpses of EVE's upcoming expansion.
- Guild Wars update brings sweeping Dervish changes
Original-flavor Guild Wars delivered a massive overhaul patch.
- The MMO Report: TERA-fying exclusive edition
We got a look at the newest TERA trailer at G4TV.
- Dungeon finder, vote kicking hotfixes on the way, Upcoming healer changes
Bluenames discussed long-awaited tweaks for World of Warcraft.
- Blizzard posts new account security guide
A new guide meant to help players protect themselves was released.
- Twelve buttons you never knew you wanted
WoW Insider reviewed the Razer Naga Epic mouse.