The company notes that it has "received a very small number of customer support questions about PS3's overheating or shutting down while playing L.A. Noire." It adds that "Rockstar Games and Sony can confirm that neither L.A. Noire or firmware update 3.61 are causing the PS3 hardware to overheat," though no solution is offered.
The company advises that those with such problems contact either Rockstar or Sony technical support.
Update: It appears that Rockstar has also received complaints of crashing or freezing issues on both PS3 and Xbox 360. Rockstar has outlined steps to help correct the problem. Find them after the break.
Here is what to do if you are crashing or freezing in L.A. Noire:
1. Delete your L.A. Noire Game Data (not save data) from the PS3 Game Data Utility. If on 360, clear the 360 cache.
2. Create a new temporary PS3 user to ensure that new save files are created. If on 360, create an offline Silver Gamertag.
3. Launch the game and try again. If you are on PS3, try playing while signed out of PSN.
4. Check your disc for scratches, dust, dirt, or other damage. Clean if necessary.
5. Check other game discs in your PS3/360 to see if issues are occurring in other games, suggesting a potential console problem.
6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console or try a different L.A. Noire disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software.
7. If your console is overheating, try moving it to a more ventilated area or contact Sony/Microsoft for further console troubleshooting.
Instructions for clearing the Xbox 360 cache can be found here.
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25