The proliferation of troll-themed gear is giving me bear run flashbacks. Are they giving you flashbacks, too? I must admit that eying up the new Voodoo Hexblade is filling me with the ghosts of gear-longing pasts, for once upon a time I was obsessed with Wub's Cursed Hexblade. I never got the damn thing, but the memory of The Burning Crusade makes me smile. That can only be a good thing, when studying the next generation of epics for my totem-toting class.
Thanks to crafting, rep gear, and the new troll dungeons, it is possible to get yourself fully kitted out in purples without setting foot in a raid. Of course, this gearing requires a little bit of luck, a lot of pugging, and a consistent time investment upon hitting level 85. However, we have covered getting an elemental shaman raid-ready a few months back, so while we look forward to patch 4.2, it is time to pick out some troll fashions and start saving for some new accessories.
Trolling for gear
Remember, even though haste and mastery are king, if you're wearing blues, then the sheer amount of intellect on these items will be an upgrade even you are trading some haste for crit. Und nau eet eez time to make de majicks!
- Helm Mask of Restless Spirits Daakara, Zul'Aman
- Shoulders Spiritbinder Spaulders Zanzil, Zul'Gurub
- Cloak Hakkari Loa Drape Bloodlord Mandokir, Zul'Gurub
- Chest Breastplate of Serenity High Priest Venoxis, Zul'Gurub
- Wrist Shadowmender Wristguards Halazzi, Zul'Aman
- Hands Mojo-Mender's Gloves Timed event, Zul'Aman
- Waist Hawkscale Waistguard Jan'alai, Zul'Gurub
- Legs Kilt of Forgotten Rites Wushoolay ,Zul'Gurub
- Rings Signet of Venoxis High Priest Venoxis, Zul'Gurub
- Rings Soul Drain Signet Hex Lord Malacrass, Zul'Aman
- Rings Shimmerclaw Band Halazzi, Zul'Aman
- Off-hands Zulian Ward Jin'do the Godbreaker, Zul'Gurub
- Weapons Legacy of Arlokk Jin'do the Godbreaker, Zul'Gurub
- Weapons Voodoo Hexblade Timed event, Zul'Aman
- Weapons Amani Scepter of Rites Daakara, Zul'Aman
Another item I've had trouble with is a belt upgrade. Sadly for me, Jan'alai, who denied me the Wub's Cursed Hexblade back in the day, still denies me. C'est la vie!
Spending justice points in patch 4.2
If, like me, you have been a little lax doing dailies and collecting valor points, in patch 4.2, all those lovely ilevel 359 items are coming to the justice point vendor.This patch will allow you to catch up super-fast while you save valor points for the new vendor epics. If you've got the basics (three pieces of tier gear), then I suggest you turn your attention to the following:
- Relic Norgannon or Eonar 770 justice points
- Ring Twined Band of Flowers or Band of Secret Names 1,250 justice points
- Cloak Haunt of Flies or Heavenly Breeze 1,250 justice points
A very productive way to get the most out of the i359 items is to buy the spirit/mastery item, and then reforge the mastery to haste in order to get a little of both stats. It all depends on how desperate you are for haste and whether you have a lot of hit and can afford to sacrifice some item budget on crit in order to get the haste. There is no hard and fast rule here, and as ever, it is worth playing around with Rawr, SimulationCraft, Bink's ERC spreadsheet, and Ask Mr. Robot in order to get the best out of your gear compilation.
Changes ahead for our spec
Before patch 4.2 went live on the PTR, I was very clear that I felt the new glyph signaled a change in the wind for the spec. Whether my gut feeling was right -- well, I plan to do a more comprehensive post on patch 4.2 closer to patch day.
In any case, if you want to be prepared for Firelands, you should be prepared to grab the new Glyph of Unleashed Lightning and start on those new Mount Hyjal dailies. The rep rewards from the new faction are extremely tasty -- and they are also the topic of another post.
As ever, if you want to chatter with me, you can find me on Twitter @mentalshaman, or you can send me an email. Until next time, keep throwing them totems!
Show your totemic mastery by reading Totem Talk. Ready to take your elemental shaman up to the new level cap? We'll help you get to level 85, dig into pre-raid gear and DPS trinkets, and find the addons that'll help your performance shine.