Greetings, my fellow trees. This week we're going to finish off our series on gearing a restoration druid in patch 4.2. Part one included headpieces, neckpieces, shoulders, cloaks, chestpieces, bracers, gloves, belts, legs and boots. Today we'll address rings, trinkets, weapons, off-hands, and relics. Yes, the tank threat changes from this past week merit commentary as well, but before we do that, run -- don't walk -- to your nearest tier 6 raid in search of Thunderheart.
Aaaaaand ... transmogrify!
With God as my witness, I will never wear a hunter polearm (or at least give the appearance of doing so) again!
As before, if your druid is brand new to level 85 or still leveling, you'll probably find the older series of guides a bit more immediately useful:
- Helm, neck, shoulders, and cloak
- Chest, bracers, gloves, belt, legs, boots, and rings
- Trinkets, weapons, offhands, and relics
Unfortunately, there are no ring drops with spirit in the Firelands, so the Shannox drop is likely to be competitive. Luckily for us, the best-in-slot ring is a reputation piece.
- Quicksilver Signet of the Avengers Requires exalted with the Avengers of Hyjal
- Crystal Prison Band (heroic) Heroic Shannox
- Soothing Brimstone Circle (heroic) Upgrade from Soothing Brimstone Circle with a Crystallized Firestone
- Crystal Prison Band Shannox
- Soothing Brimstone Circle 1,250 valor points
- Signet of the Fifth Circle (heroic) Heroic Cho'gall
- Security Measure Alpha (heroic) Heroic Omnotron Defense System
- Spirit Fragment Band Available from Varlan Highbough after completing Calling the Ancients
- Twined Band of Flowers 1,250 justice points
- Signet of the Fifth Circle Cho'gall
- Band of Secret Names 1,250 justice points
- Security Measure Alpha Omnotron Defense System
- Signet of Venoxis High Priest Venoxis in Zul'Gurub
- Soul Drain Signet Hex Lord Malacrass in Zul'Aman
As with every guide I've done previously, trinkets are ranked purely according to item level here because it's extremely difficult to rate the individual value of each proc. Some healers will prioritize longevity; others will prioritize throughput. Use your best judgment, and don't be afraid to swap trinkets in and out for different fights.
Unfortunately, there are no new trinkets available from Zul'Aman or Zul'Gurub, so your first new option is going to be the Moonwell Chalice from questing through the Molten Front. Otherwise, the Shard of Woe is still godly if you can convince your guild to keep farming Sinestra.
- Eye of Blazing Power (heroic) Heroic Alysrazor
- Jaws of Defeat (heroic) Heroic Staghelm
- Shard of Woe Sinestra; this is still a ridiculously good piece, so get it if you can
- Fiery Quintessence Available at revered with the Avengers of Hyjal
- Eye of Blazing Power Alysrazor
- Jaws of Defeat Staghelm
- Rune of Zeth Available at revered with the Avengers of Hyjal; this is really a lousy trinket for resto druids, but in the interests of a complete list, I have held my nose and included it
- Fall of Mortality (heroic) Heroic Cho'gall
- Jar of Ancient Remedies (heroic) Heroic Maloriak
- Moonwell Chalice Available from Ayla Shadowstorm after completing Filling the Moonwell
- Fall of Mortality Cho'gall
- Jar of Ancient Remedies Maloriak
- Miniature Voodoo Mask Hex Lord Malacrass in Zul'Aman. No, this is not a healer item, but it's one of the game's most famous (perhaps it would be more accurate to say, notorious) trinkets. This thing actually managed to wipe a Felmyst raid of mine back when Sunwell was progression content. A rogue had equipped it as a laugh on Brutallus and forgot to replace it afterwards. The Gnomes have, shall we say, surprising range. Consider yourself warned.
A one-handed weapon with an off-hand is the best option if you're purely on the lookout for more intellect. You'll want a staff if there's a secondary stat you're looking to beef. The best option outside of raids for the moment is the new blacksmithing BOE, although it'll be very expensive to have made.
Enchant Power Torrent or Heartsong
- Chelley's Sterilized Scalpel (heroic) Upgrade from Chelley's Sterilized Scalpel with a Crystallized Firestone
- Ko'gun, Hammer of the Firelord (heroic) Heroic Ragnaros
- Chelley's Sterilized Scalpel BoE trash drop from Firelands
- Ko'gun, Hammer of the Firelord Ragnaros
- Incineratus (heroic) Heroic Magmaw
- Twilight's Hammer (heroic) Heroic Cho'gall
- Andoros, Fist of the Dragon King (heroic) Heroic Nefarian
- Blade of the Witching Hour (heroic) Heroic Theralion and Valiona
- Lightforged Elementium Hammer A new blacksmithing BOE
- Incineratus Magmaw
- Twilight's Hammer Cho'gall
- Andoros, Fist of the Dragon King Nefarian
- Blade of the Witching Hour Theralion and Valiona
- Amani Scepter of Rites Daakara in Zul'Aman
There are not a lot of new options in patch 4.2, but the Molten Front will provide one if you keep questing. You can also try for the Molten Scream off Baleroc, but unfortunately it has hit.
Enchant Enchant Off-Hand -- Superior Intellect
- Goblet of Anger (heroic) Heroic Shannox
- Goblet of Anger Shannox
- Scepter of Ice (heroic) Heroic Ascendant Council
- Globe of Moonlight Available from Ayla Shadowstorm after completing Filling the Moonwell
- Scepter of Ice Ascendant Council
- Heartbound Tome BOE zone drop in Cataclysm heroics and the Bastion of Twilight
- Lost Bag of Whammies Hazza'rah in Zul'Gurub; best item name ever
I had a cute Twitter conversation with folks a while back on how Dragonwrath is actually best in slot for restoration as well as balance druids at present. If you're running your guild and everyone hates your caster DPS, I suppose you might have a shot, but otherwise ...
Enchant Power Torrent or Heartsong
- Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest Ha, ha, ha -- you won't get this, but in the interests of accuracy, it's still best in slot
- Sho'ravon, Greatstaff of Annihilation (heroic) Heroic Ragnaros
- Funeral Pyre (heroic) Heroic Beth'tilac
- Smoldering Censer of Purity (heroic) Random drop off any heroic boss encounter in Firelands (bar Ragnaros)
- Sho'ravon, Greatstaff of Annihilation Ragnaros
- Funeral Pyre Beth'tilac
- Smoldering Censer of Purity Random drop off any normal boss encounter in Firelands (bar Ragnaros)
- Chelley's Staff of Dark Mending BOE zone drop in the Bastion of Twilight
- Staff of Sorcerer-Thane Thaurissan Archaeology
- Staff of Ammunae Archaeology
- Legacy of Arlokk Jin'do the Godbreaker in Zul'Gurub
As with the off-hand slot, you'll have a good option available from the Molten Front if you keep up with your dailies, although you can always just save valor points toward the Soulflame or Singed Plume as you prefer.
- Soulflame Vial (heroic) Upgrade from Soulflame Vial with a Crystallized Firestone
- Singed Plume of Aviana (heroic) Upgrade from Singed Plume of Aviana with a Crystallized Firestone
- Soulflame Vial 700 valor points
- Singed Plume of Aviana 700 valor points
- Relic of Elune's Light Available from Ayla Shadowstorm after completing Filling the Moonwell
Shifting Perspectives helps you gear your bear druid, breaks down the facts about haste for trees, and then digs into the restoration mastery. You might also enjoy our look at the disappearance of the bear.