Playpen Studios has announced that its not-at-all-like-DJ-Hero rhythm title Skillz: The DJ Game will chop and screw its way onto Apple's iPad come September 8. In Skillz, players must navigate their way through "25 of the hottest dance tracks" by tapping the iPad's touch-screen to activate samples, swiping across the screen to adjust the cross-fader, and vigorously rubbing the screen's corners to scritchy-scratch the track.
No word yet on price, but the official Skillz website indicates that Android and PC versions are also in the works, which will be available from the Android Marketplace and Steam, respectively. According to the FAQ, the PC version will support the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, and will also allow players to mix, record and upload songs in a mysterious "Freemode."%Gallery-132617%
Skillz's key features include:
• Step Into A World of DJing: Single player music game for all ages that simulates the world of a superstar DJ and allows players to mix and scratch songs using a tablet's touchscreen interface.
• The Freshest Music: Play 25 of the hottest dance tracks from world-renowned artists including Diplo, People Under The Stairs, Crookers, Fedde Le Grand and more.
• Exhilarating Gameplay: Tap the screen to trigger samples, swipe the crossfader, and scratch the virtual vinyl to remix songs as you play.
• Build Your Rep: Unlock new levels and earn achievements as you play through various difficulty settings and grow your fan base.
• Rule the Crowd: Compete on a global leaderboard against friends and foes, and unlock achievements with OpenFeint integration.
• Expansive Music Library: Post-release support with new track packs to become available on an ongoing basis.
For more information about Skillz:
• Visit the website: www.skillzthedjgame.com
• Watch on Vimeo: www.vimeo.com/skillzdjgame
• Follow on Twitter: www.twitter.com/skillzthedjgame
• Like on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Skillz-The-DJ-Game
About Playpen Studios
Playpen Studios is a Hong Kong-based independent video game developer founded by Joe Gilbertson and James Wong in 2005. After winning a game design competition hosted by Microsoft, the duo went on to become certified developers for the Xbox platform and performed a multitude of project-based services for Chinese developers and publishers. Their first original project came in 2007, when Playpen revealed Skillz: The DJ Game for PC, which went on to win the "Excellence in Audio" award at the Independent Games Festival China in 2010. Since then, Playpen formally announced the 2011 release of Skillz on the iPad and Android tablets, followed by the PC release. To learn more about Playpen Studios, visit www.skillzdjgame.com.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 13
- Form factor Tablet
- Operating system iOS (8)
- Screen size 9.7 inches
- Storage type Internal storage (16 GB, Flash)
- Maximum battery life Up to 10 hours
- Dimensions 9.4 x 6.6 x 0.24 in
- Weight 0.96 lb
- Announced 2014-10-16