Sega also notes that Sonic's 20th Anniversary – and thus Generations – has been heralded by several special events, including the construction of a Sonic-themed playground in Oakland, California, a promotion at Six Flags and the Sonic Boom party at E3. Here's hoping Sega can truly honor the Blue Blur by delivering a game worthy of his glory days.
SEGA Puts Full Support Behind Sonic Generations With Multiple Large-Scale Marketing Initiatives; Game Breaks Franchise Pre-Order Record
SAN FRANCISCO (October 27, 2011) –SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced that Sonic Generations™ has exceeded all previous pre-order records from the 20-year Sonic catalog, making it the most anticipated title in Sonic the Hedgehog's iconic history. The company also announced that, celebrating two decades of the iconic blue blur, SEGA has invested in a number of high-profile brand initiatives surrounding the anniversary and the game itself. Sonic Generations has already been extremely positively received by critics: Complex.com calls it "the perfect mix of old school and new school Sonic" while IGN determined that it is "the best of Sonic."
"Sonic Generations is the ultimate title to cap off Sonic's 20th anniversary and we have put our full support behind it with a number of truly amazing initiatives," said Alan Pritchard, Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing at SEGA of America. "This year is a milestone for Sonic and we want to make sure this is the best title that Sonic fans, old and new, have been waiting for."
The campaign began with the colossal 20th anniversary celebration for the game's fans, Sonic Boom, which saw over 1,000 people singing Happy Birthday to Sonic and reunited the original development team of the game. The celebrations will continue with the following large-scale initiatives that will lead to the culmination of Sonic's 20th anniversary year and the release of the upcoming videogame:
· Six Flags Partnership, throughout October: Nationwide theme park brand implementation with Sonic Generations game zones for hands-on experience and marketing messaging across the Six Flags Digital Networks.
· Sonic Generations of Skate, October 22: The nationally broadcast (November 25 on FOX Sports Net) professional skateboarding tournament featuring legendary skaters Steve Caballero, Tony Hawk, Pierre Luc Gagnon, Andy Macdonald, Mitchie Brusco and more, united skateboarders from multiple generations to compete in an event celebrating Sonic Generations and Sonic's 20th Anniversary. (Venice Beach, CA)
· Custom Sonic Playground, October 28: SEGA and KaBOOM! have partnered to build a custom Sonic-themed playground for kids in East Oakland, CA at the Youth UpRising community center. (Oakland, CA)
· Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade – November 24: Modern Sonic will be making his debut as a helium balloon in this year's parade. In 1993, Classic Sonic was the first-ever video game character in the annual event. (New York, NY)
Sonic Generations will be released for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC digital download on November 1, 2011 nationwide. The game will be available for Nintendo 3DS™ on November 22, 2011.
For more information about the game, please visit www.sega.com/sonicgenerations
For press assets, please visit the SEGA press site at www.sega-press.com.
For more news, follow SEGA on Twitter @SEGA or "like" us on Facebook www.facebook.com/sega.
About Sonic Generations: SEGA's highly anticipated new title, Sonic Generations, will be released this November. The game features Sonic the Hedgehog, as both the much loved classic 1991 character and the modern-day video game hero he has become. In this exciting fast-paced adventure set across three defining eras of Sonic the Hedgehog, the most iconic environments from his history are available to speed through; Classic Sonic in re-imagined 2D side scrolling levels and as Modern Sonic in all new, stunning 3D levels. Sonic Generations will be available for this holiday season for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Windows PC digital download and Nintendo 3DS™.
About SEGA® of America, Inc.:
SEGA® of America, Inc. is the American arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA® Corporation, a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment. SEGA of America's Web site is located at www.sega.com
Microsoft, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE, and the Xbox logos are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 104
- Game format Downloadable, Cartridge
- Screen size 3.53 inches
- Online features Multiplayer, Store, Browser
- Direction control D-pad, Thumb stick (1)
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Camera / optical
- Dimensions 0.8 x 5.3 x 2.9 in
- Weight 8 oz
- Released 2011-03-27
Sony PlayStation 3 (late 2012)
Microsoft Xbox One