Digital Foundry tackles one of gaming's fiercest rivalries in a way that's more educational than incendiary, focusing on the ways in which the technology powering each franchise has evolved over the years. With sophisticated lighting techniques and more granular destruction, DICE's Frostbite 2 engine seems primed to embrace a next generation of systems, while Infinity Ward's slick performer maintains its seductive framerate on consoles and lightning-fast controls.
It's presented as another round between two shooter giants, but the commentary on the underlying technology, which is demonstrably different despite similar scenarios and subject matter, is a good reminder of how much time, research and investment is poured into EA and Activision's flagship products -- beyond the boisterous marketing.
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25
Microsoft Xbox One