The iPad is popular, so popular that analysts have blamed the tablet for declining consumer netbook and notebook sales. While consumers may be buying tablets in lieu of PCs, small to medium businesses are not. A pair of recent surveys from the NPD group suggest businesses will continue to buy PCs along with tablets in 2012.
As reported by AppleInsider, a recent tablet survey from NPD's quarterly SMB Technology Monitor shows that 73% of businesses with less than 1,000 employees plan to buy tablets for their employees. Almost all of these tablets will be from Apple as the word "tablet" is synonymous with iPad says Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis at NPD. Most companies plan to spend about $21,000 on new tablet purchases in the upcoming year.At the same time, these small to medium businesses will continue to buy PCs for their workforce. Less than 20 percent of companies with 999 employees or less plan to reduce spending on PCs. The remaining 80 percent will spend the same or more on PCs in 2012 than they did in 2011. On average, both small and medium-sized businesses will replace 10 to 15 percent of their PCs in the upcoming year.
These surveys suggest 2012 will be a terrific year for corporate employees at small to medium-sized businesses. Some of you will be getting new office PCs, and many of you will be handed an iPad for your business use.