Heading to Xbox Live Arcade exclusively, Wreckateer employs Kinect as the sole controller and represents players in-game with their XBL Avatar. Players grab rocks of various types in a ballista (read: extra large slingshot), step back to take aim, and let loose to take down castles in as few shots as possible. "When we originally pitched it, we pitched as Angry Birds meets Boom Blox with some Burnout Crash Mode sprinkled in," Iron Galaxy's Dave Lang told us during a recent demo.
The latter part of his description plays out in mid-air, as the ball hurtles toward said castle -- players can add English to the ball or alter its trajectory by waving their hands, and some ammo types allow for other effects. One such ball splits into three separate, smaller balls attached by a string, allowing for bigger point chains and higher scores. At its core, Wreckateer is a high score game based around a singular, effective concept: throwing rocks at stuff. Microsoft Studios is publishing the game, and it's expected some time in "Spring 2012." So, like, soon.
Spring Showcase 2012
What is "Wreckateer"? "Wreckateer" uses Kinect for Xbox 360 to put you in control of a massive castle-wrecking ballista. With the help of Wreck and Tinker, travel the land and destroy 60 castles infested with Goblins using six magical projectiles. Aim and fire each shot and then control it in mid-air, activating special powers and guiding them toward their target. Utilize an arsenal of Flying, Explosive, Splitting, and rocketing Speed shots to explore the infinite ways you can wreak havoc with "Wreckateer's" fully-dynamic destruction.
• "Wreckateer" features physics-based destruction allowing every structure on the field to be demolished down to dust. Hitting a structure a different way will result in a different break.
• Take advantage of fully-dynamic destruction to improvise with each shot. Blow a hole through the castle wall, then fire an explosive shot at the castle's base, or use a Flying Shot to glide over the wall and into the castle to pinpoint the weak point and bring it down.
• See real-time updates of your friends' scores, from the high score holder to the score just above yours. Get level-specific challenges and updates to push you on to beating your friends' scores.
• Two player turn-based local multiplayer also supported on every level.
• Custom playlists allow you to select from our 60+ levels and play through your favorite moments in any order you choose.
Publisher/Distributor: Microsoft Studios
Developer: Iron Galaxy
Format: For download via Xbox LIVE Arcade
ESRB Rating: TBD
Availability: Spring 2012
Information: About Iron Galaxy
Iron Galaxy is a Chicago-based game development studio founded by industry veterans who have worked closely for years. Each of our team members averages over eleven years' experience in various senior roles with a gameography that boasts published titles on every major gaming console since the original Sony PlayStation. With a focus on big console technology including Xbox 360 and Playstation3, our clients and partners rely on Iron Galaxy's expertise and track record to execute on their most trusted brands.
Microsoft Xbox One