The MMO industry has had better weeks, and as much as we'd like to put all the layoffs, PR spin, and doom-and-gloom behind us, it wouldn't be much of a Week in Review if we did so.
The big news was, of course, the messy implosion of 38 Studios, which not only put a lot of developers out of work and tarnished Curt Schilling's reputation but also led to the closure of 38's Big Huge Games subsidiary. Not to be outdone was BioWare, which laid off an undisclosed amount of its Star Wars: The Old Republic workforce and attempted to downplay the cuts as standard operating procedure.
Thankfully the rest of the week's news wasn't so dire. See for yourself after the break.
- Editorial: Learning from the 38 Studios disaster
- Copernicus screens leaked
- Everything you need to know about The Secret World
- Massively goes to hell in The Secret World
- The Secret World launch delayed until July 3rd
- EVE Online's 17th expansion launches
- Star Trek Online's fleet starbases on the way
- SWTOR hints at mega-servers
- SWTOR patch 1.3 interview
- Pachter says MMO assets are stagnant, SWTOR "fizzled"
- Diablo III and Torchlight 2 compared
- Diablo III players report hacked accounts
- Blizzard denies Diablo III authenticator hacks
- Blizzard of Diablo III hot-fixes, auction house delay
- ArenaNet defends Guild Wars 2's microtransactions
- Guild Wars 2 a reaction to "sluggish" MMO design
- Fan documents visual changes between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2
- Wings Over Atreia checks out Aion's Tiamaranta
- Orgia Romanus to facilitate player sexual interaction
- Marvel Heroes trailer revealed
- Why we play Vanguard
- The Guild Counsel talks burning bridges
- SOE shares its PlanetSide memories
- MOP's daily quest cap to be removed
- Is MOP's Arena Pass Realm a PvP sandbox?
- MOP beta: The evolution of itemization
- Three add-ons you shouldn't forget for your alt