The Wii U's online strategy begins with the Miiverse, as Moffitt describes it, and Nintendo is focused on using its online capabilities to enhance social features, gameplay and "the connectedness gamers feel with one another."
Online multiplayer is a part of Nintendo's online strategy for Wii U, but not its entire focus. "Online multiplayer is one part of it, and certainly Wii U will enable the same online multiplayer features that have become popular in some of the competing consoles, but that's really one piece of the online gaming network," Moffitt said. "Our vision is broader."
Apparently Nintendo's vision isn't broad enough to include online multiplayer for Pikmin 3 – though perhaps that's a case of not seeing the forest for the Pikmin.
The Wii U's output ranges from 480i to 1080p, and Moffitt said he thinks Nintendo's first-party titles will run at 1080p.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 54
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 8 GB
- Controller type Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic, Camera / optical
- Video outputs Component, HDMI (v1.4), RCA / composite, S-Video
- Backward compatible 1 generations
- Released 2012-11-18