F2P is the "platform of the future!" No, F2P is "entertainment socialism" that preys on the mentally ill! The participants in this year's GDC Online in Austin, Texas, didn't exactly solve the business model problems posed by the modern MMO industry, but they sure did provoke some passionate commentary from the folks at home.
Massively's GDC Online reporters heard from notables like John Smedley, Raph Koster, Ultima Forever's Paul Barnett, SWTOR's Damion Schubert, Guild Wars 2's Cameron Dunn, and SOE's Linda Carlson; slaughtered zombies in The War Z; took a peek at World of Warplanes, Age of Wushu, and Otherland; and raised their eyebrows at the results of the Developer's Choice awards.
Read on for a look at this week's other top MMO stories.
- League of Legends claims title of 'most played video game in the world'
- Final Fantasy XIV shows off A Realm Reborn on the PlayStation 3
- Aventurine on Darkfall's new UI, possible payment models, and more
- Guild Wars 2's environmental weapons, PvP features, two-factor authentication
- League of Legends tournament cheaters fined $30,000; tourney alienates fans
- SWTOR's Game Update 1.5 hits the public test server
- Cold, tired, and dead: Hands-on with PlanetSide 2's newest continent
- The top 10 worst expansion names of all time
- Hands-on with World of Tanks' patch 8.0
- Riders of Rohan pre-launch guide
- Chris Roberts returns with open-world Star Citizen sandbox
- RIFT dimensions video asks, 'What will you create?'
- Ninja gear to premiere in North American Aion
- Allods Online overhauls female model and animations
- Security breached in PlaySpan hack, multiple games affected
- Opinion: No hope for CoH, no faltering for us
- Check out 25 minutes of Marvels Heroes in action
- Funcom preps The Secret World for reticle combat
- Opinion: RuneScape is a proper MMO
- Former TSW dev says successful games need to be 'a bit more commercial'
- Trion details RIFT's 1.11 update, invites veterans back for free
- World of Warcraft exploiters wipe out entire cities
- Is the raid finder too easy?
- The pop culture references in Mists of Pandaria you need to know
- Dungeons and you: A guide to basic etiquette
- Getting started in PvP Season 12
- New scenarios and cinematics datamined plus 5.1 patch notes