Many would call the BBC the go-to name for nature documentaries; unless you happen to tune in at the right moments or buy a spheroid collector's set, however, it's not always easy to follow along. We'll all have an easier time getting our fill now that the broadcaster has launched its promised nature channel, Earth Unplugged. The streaming video station centers on seven shows that range from the obligatory baby animal segments -- this is YouTube, after all -- through to dinosaurs and looks at nature professionals. Earth Unplugged won't necessarily have us tossing our Blu-ray collections, but it should provide some welcome educational material once we're done watching box-loving cats.
BBC Earth presents Earth Unplugged: A digital nature channel for YouTube
BBC Worldwide today announced the launch of Earth Unplugged a new YouTube channel from BBC Earth, BBC Worldwide's global natural history brand.
The channel will feature a feast of new films created for a digital audience by BBC Earth Productions and is set to become a destination site for wildlife and nature. Earth Unplugged is BBC Worldwide's first original-content channel for YouTube and forms part of the company's plans to build a true consumer facing multi-channel network on the platform.
Amanda Hill, Managing Director for BBC Earth at BBC Worldwide said "With Earth Unplugged we're seeking to connect a new audience with the world around them. YouTube offers a fantastic opportunity to reach people and grab their attention with innovative nature content that will captivate and inspire."
Earth Unplugged has released a trailer for the channel today which can be viewed here: YouTube.com/EarthUnplugged. On launch the channel will feature videos for seven unmissable new shows:
* Earth Juice will bring viewers weekly news discussing the latest discoveries in the natural world and revealing amazing facts that they may never have heard before: from bees that have produced blue honey to uncovering the real life vampires in the animal kingdom.
* Meet My Planet is a glossy and intimate look inside the world of people who have been inspired by the natural world. We'll hear from a fascinating mix of people from explorers, naturalists and filmmakers to artists and musicians – all of whom have a passion for nature.
* Deadliest... is a YouTube exclusive spin-off of the BBC's immensely popular TV show Deadly 60 and features the ultimate showdowns from the planet's deadliest animals; the most inhospitable habitats and most dangerous forces of nature.
* Walking with Dinosaurs will see videos specially created for Earth Unplugged - including the soon-to-be-favourite sketchosaurus - the ultimate destination for dino fans with an enticing mix of fun, fear and facts!
* Earth Files takes iconic nature stories and gives them a unique digital makeover, fusing high-end graphics and surprising music with beautiful photography to create a brand new experience.
* Zoo La La will travel the world uncovering some of the most extraordinary animal behaviour and Bugface, part of Zoo La La, makes insects the star of a new show that has to be seen to be believed!
* Amazing Animal Babies is a must for anyone needing a weekly uplift! Featuring stunning films of cute baby animals Amazing Animal Babies will reveal the extraordinary stories these infants have to tell.