The day-one Wii U update, a lengthy download that enabled all of the system's online functionality, is a bit irritating for new Wii U owners, and was kind of terrifying for pre-release reviewers. Speaking to IGN, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata admitted it wasn't the best situation, apologizing for the inconvenience.
"Personally I think that users should be able to use all the functions of a console video game machine as soon as they open the box," Iwata said. "So I feel very sorry for the fact that purchasers of Wii U have to experience a network update which takes such a long time, and that there are the services which were not available at the hardware's launch."
We hope all new Wii U owners can patiently make it through the update process, because we require a never-ending stream of hilarious Miiverse doodles.
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 8 GB
- Controller type Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic, Camera / optical
- Video outputs Component, HDMI (v1.4), RCA / composite, S-Video
- Backward compatible 1 generations
- Released 2012-11-18