Rogers unveils evolution of NextBox 2.0 experience with extension to tablet
- Available today, Rogers launches Anyplace TV Home Edition application for tablet - officially the second screen in the home -
- Navigate, search, set recordings, use a virtual remote control and live stream content without interrupting your TV viewing experience -
TORONTO, Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - Rogers Communications, Canada's leading diversified communications and media company, announced today a new addition to the NextBox™ 2.0 experience in Ontario with the Rogers Anyplace TV™ Home Edition application for select tablets and smartphones.
The new application, which is available on iPad and iPhone today and launching on Android tablets and smartphones this year, makes it possible to use advanced search, a virtual remote control, live stream news, sports and entertainment, and remotely manage and set PVR content, all on a tablet. Rogers is the first Canadian telecommunications company to offer an integrated remote PVR management and live TV streaming experience on tablets.
"Our customers love to combine TV viewing with multi-tasking. The Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app is the ultimate TV companion that provides a seamless experience for our customers," said John Boynton, executive vice-president and chief marketing officer, Rogers Communications. "By offering TV management features, in addition to live streaming on tablets, customers can control content from a second screen without interrupting what's currently on their TV. This represents the next step in our commitment to delivering the world-leading internet experiences customers want and expect from Rogers."
Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition offers the following enhanced features, including:
* Use your tablet or smartphone to search and navigate TV listings
* Use your tablet or smartphone as a virtual remote control
* Manage PVR recordings from your tablet and smartphone
* Scroll through the interactive guide on your tablet, browser or smartphone
* Live stream 25 channels in the home on a tablet with a Rogers Digital TV subscription, when connected to Rogers Hi-Speed Speed Internet
Rogers Hi-Speed Internet and Digital TV customers can download the app from iTunes or Google Play, log in using their My Rogers profile.
Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition is part of a long line of market leadership from Rogers. Last December, Rogers introduced Rogers Live TV, the first application available to Canadians that live streams programming on a tablet from anywhere in the home. Rogers was the first carrier to launch LTE in Canada, the first with Android smartphones, the first to bring iPhone to Canada and the first carrier in the world to launch BlackBerry® devices and Windows Phone 8 devices. In addition, Rogers rolled out the first coast-to-coast GSM network in 2001 and was one of the first 10 carriers worldwide to offer HSPA+. Rogers has also led the way as the first telecom provider in Canada to launch high speed broadband access via cable (October 1994) and launch Video On Demand on set top boxes (February 2002).