As Notorious B.I.G. would say, "mo patches, mo gear." Well, I imagine he would have said that if he could have played World of Warcraft.
There's just something about pouring through datamined loot and finding out where it all drops that excites me. In fact, I don't get into the whole "new patch hype" until I look at the gear, and then I'm suddenly hit with the realization that we're getting new bosses, new content, and new items.
Despite how much fun I had in putting this article together, gear lists have proven to be very dry. They have their uses, particularly as bookmark fodder for a quick reference of what drops where, so instead of trying to fluff this post up, I'm going to just lay it all out at once. Before I do that, however, I need to mention a few things.
There are some discrepancies between Wowhead's data and that from the PTR itself. You might notice weird or incorrect tooltips or entries that don't correspond to data on the site or on the test realm. In all cases, I defaulted to the test realm as the final authority on the matter.
Some drops aren't on the loot tables for any bosses in Throne of Thunder, but Ghostcrawler has stated that at least some of these may drop from trash in normal and heroic and have a chance at dropping out of bags in LFR.
Aside from the gear listed below, most of which is also available in Raid Finder and Heroic versions, there are a few additional pieces of lower ilevel – The Brassiest Knuckle which appears to be a Brawler's Guild reward, and Refurbished Seal of Jin which comes from being exalted with the Kirin Tor Offensive (Alliance) or Sunreaver Onslaught (Horde) and currently costs 937 VP.
When looking at which pieces to grab, keep in mind that while our typical stat priority favors haste over either mastery or crit, we are collectively reaching a saturation point with haste such that crit and mastery are gaining ground. As such, always remember that your stat values may fluctuate as you gear up. Keep this in mind when making gearing decisions.
- Lightning Emperor's Helmet comes from the tier helm token that drops from Twin Consorts.
- Doomed Crown of Lei-Shen drops from Lei-Shen.
- Crown of the Golden Golem drops from Dark Animus.
- Talisman of Angry Spirits drops from Council of Elders.
- Amulet of the Primal Turtle drops from Tortos.
- Striker's Battletags come from being neutral with Shado-Pan Assault and cost 1,250 VP.
- Necklace of the Terra-Cotta Vanquisher may be a trash drop in Throne of Thunder.
- Lightning Emperor's Pauldrons come from the tier shoulder token that drops from Iron Qon.
- Shoulderguards of Centripetal Destruction drop from Tortos.
- Sightblinder Shoulderguards come from being exalted with Shado-Pan Assault and cost 850 gold.
- Reconstructed Furious Shoulderplates may be a trash drop in Throne of Thunder.
- Horn-Rimmed Doomcloak drops from Horridon.
- Hydra-Scale Bloodcloak drops form Primordius.
- Spikeshard Greatcloak comes from being honored with Shado-Pan Assault and costs 1,250 VP.
- Lightning Emperor's Battleplate comes from the tier chest token that drops from Dark Animus.
- Chestplate of Violent Detonation drops from Jin'rokh the Breaker.
- Talonrender Chestplate drops from Ji-Kun.
- Gianttooth Chestplate comes from being revered with Shado-Pan Assault and costs 2,250 VP.
- Bracers of Constant Implosion drop from Jin'rokh the Breaker.
- Frozen Warlord's Bracers drop from Horridon.
- Caustic Spike Bracers drop from Durumu the Forgotten.
- Bonecrusher Bracers come from being friendly with Shado-Pan Assault and cost 1,250 VP.
- Lightning Emperor's Gauntlets come from the tier glove token that drops from Council of Elders.
- Pathogenic Gauntlets drop from Primordius.
- Rein-Binder's Fists drop from Iron Qon.
- Bloodstained Skullsqueezers come from being honored with Shado-Pan Assault and cost 1,750 VP.
- Cloudbreaker Greatbelt drops from Jin'rokh the Breaker.
- Swordhook Slingbelt comes from being revered with Shado-Pan Assault and costs 1,750 VP.
- Abandoned Zandalari Goreplate may be a trash drop in Throne of Thunder.
- Lightning Emperor's Legplates come from the tier leg token that drops from Ji-Kun.
- Bloodlord's Bloodsoaked Legplates drop from Horridon.
- Legplates of the Dark Parasite drop from Durumu the Forgotten.
- Legplates of the Lightning Throne drop from Lei-Shen.
- Vaultbreaker Greaves come from being honored with Shado-Pan Assault and cost 2,250 VP.
- Tidal Force Treads drop from Twin Consorts.
- Locksmasher Greaves and Columnbreaker Stompers may be trash drops in Throne of Thunder.
- Spinescale Seal drops from Megaera.
- Band of the Scaled Tyrant drops from Primordius.
- Band of the Shado-Pan Assault comes from being friendly with Shado-Pan Assault and costs 1,250 VP.
- Spark of Zandalar drops from Horridon.
- Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun drops from Ji-Kun.
- Primordius' Talisman of Rage drops from Primordius.
- Gaze of the Twins drops from Twin Consorts.
- Brutal Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault comes from being friendly with Shado-Pan Assault and costs 1,750 VP.
- Zerat, Malakk's Souldburning Greatsword drops from Council of Elders.
- Uroe, Harbinger of Terror drops from Lei-Shen.
- Bo-Ris, Horror in the Night and Greatsword of Frozen Hells may be trash drops in the Throne of Thunder.
*If your answer is anything other than, "HOLY BUCKETS, A STRENGTH POLEARM?!" then you're simply wrong.
The Light and How to Swing It teaches you the ins and outs of retribution paladins, from Ret 101 and how to gem, enchant and reforge your retadin, to essential ret pally addons.