Amazon today launched its largest slate, the Kindle Fire HD 8.9, in Europe (the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain, to be exact) and Japan, where it's been up for pre-order since late last month. That's not all, though, as Amazon says having to make more 8.9-inch tabs for those markets has cut production costs, and the savings are being passed on to US customers in the form of a price cut. This isn't one of the time-sensitive offers Amazon has a habit of pulling, so from today onwards, you'll be able to pick up a WiFi-only 16GB model for $269, or the 4G option with 32 gigs of storage for $399. The higher capacity models -- 32GB WiFi-only and 64GB with 4G -- now tally up at $299 and $499, respectively.
Amazon Launches Kindle Fire HD 8.9" in Europe and Japan; Introduces New, Lower Price
Largest-display, highest-resolution version of Amazon's best-selling tablet now available in Europe and Japan
New, lower price for Kindle Fire HD 8.9" in the US - starting at just $269 for Wi-Fi and $399 for 4G
"We're thrilled with customer reaction to Kindle Fire HD 8.9". Customers tell us they love our large-screen version of Kindle Fire HD for web browsing, email, gaming, watching TV shows, reading magazines, and more," said Dave Limp, Vice President, Amazon Kindle. "As we expand Kindle Fire HD 8.9" to
Kindle Fire HD 8.9" is the highest-resolution, largest-display Kindle Fire. Designed for entertainment, it is perfect for web, apps, movies, games and magazines. Features include:
- Large 8.9" display has the highest resolution of any Kindle Fire (1920x1200, 254 ppi), with rich color and deep contrast; ideal for movies, apps, and gaming.
Dolbyaudio and dual stereo speakers for crisp, rich sound.
- Over 23 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books, and audiobooks.
- The most popular apps and games.
- Ultra-fast web browsing and streaming with built-in dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi.
- Front-facing HD camera for taking photos or making video calls.
- Exceptional battery life - Kindle Fire HD 8.9" gets 10 hours of battery life.
- Easy-to-use e-mail, calendar, and contacts for work or home, including Gmail, Hotmail, Exchange, and more.
Amazon-exclusive features like X-Ray for Movies, X-Ray for Textbooks, Immersion Reading, Whispersync for Voice and Whispersync for Games.
- Kindle FreeTime, a free, personalized tablet experience just for kids and exclusively available on Kindle Fire. Parents can set daily screen limits and give access to appropriate content for each child.
- "Buy Once, Enjoy Everywhere" with
Amazonapps available on the largest number of platforms so customers can use their Amazoncontent on any of their devices.
Amazon'stop-rated, world-class customer service.
Kindle Fire HD 8.9" is available starting today at this new low price at www.amazon.com/kindlefirehd.