When we attend a trade show, we typically spend an entire week jumping from one exhibition hall to the next, surrounded by thousands of suit-clad corporate execs. That's the case at MWC in Barcelona, IFA in Berlin and CEATEC in Japan -- at SXSW in Austin, however, bars, tents, parking lots and even single-family homes host manufacturers large and small, and instead of starched button-downs and cufflinks, attendees sport t-shirts and tattoos. People are friendly, the weather is fantastic and there's live music and hot food at every turn -- we have to admit, we're in love, and we're devastated that it's time to leave.
At traditional mega-shows, we arrive with clear expectations and even a list of products to check out. We didn't quite know what would come of SXSW. What we found were insanely awesome products like the Roli Seaboard digital piano and Leap Motion, paired with presentations from industry legends like Elon Musk and Al Gore. We also had a chance to take a closer look at Google Glass, and, after an awesome night at our very first Engadget+gdgt event, we even caught a free ride home in a Tesla Model S. It was a week we'll never forget, and, thanks to the power of the internet, you've had a chance to join in on the fun, even if you're thousands of miles from Central Texas.
Our content-packed event page is the place to be for anything and everything gadget at SXSW, but we're happy to share a recap of sorts here as well. Join us past the break to relive the magic that was South by Southwest Interactive 2013.
SXSW 2013 wrap-upSee all photos
- Memoto lapel camera turns your life into one big photoblog
- Roli's Seaboard piano may redefine the way you play
- Ube WiFi Smart Dimmer to receive customized gesture control
- TI shows off LaunchPad-based prototype mouse
- Gigabot is a huge consumer 3D printer awaiting your Kickstarter dollars
- GE's Barista Bots are exactly what SXSW needs: coffee-printing robotic arms
- Necomimi cat ears' creators branch out into brain-controlled headphones
- Palm Top Theater turns your iPhone into a mini-3D display
- Google shows off hacked speaking shoe at SXSW
- OpenPool transforms billiards with a Kinect camera-controlled light show
- Multimorphic shows off modular, open-source P3 Pinball machine at SXSW
News, interviews and more
- AMC launches Yeah! movie service
- Google shows off Glass apps: New York Times, Gmail, Path and more
- Sonos' speaker-building, light-showing, neon-couching SXSW house
- Tesla gives Uber a Model S boost at SXSW, so come on and take a free ride
- Xi3 starts Piston pre-orders: buy an early Steambox for under $1,000
- MakerBot unveils prototype Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner
- The Engadget Interview: Wes Craven and Joe Swanberg
- The Engadget Interview: Leap Motion CEO Michael Buckwald
- The Engadget Interview: BlackBerry developer evangelist Tom Anderson
- The Engadget Interview: Bre Pettis talks MakerBot's Digitizer 3D Scanner
- We're Live at Google's SXSW Glass panel
- We're live at SXSW's Al Gore on The Future panel
- We're live at Elon Musk's SXSW keynote
- We're live at SXSW's Leap Motion panel
- Live from MakerBot's SXSW Keynote
- We're live at Virtual Reality: The Holy Grail of Gaming panel
- Catch our Leap Motion, Elon Musk and Al Gore liveblogs today!