AT&T has announced that it'll fire up LTE coverage in
16 77 new cities this this summer and that it has expanded or turned on the signal in four 12 other centers. Residents of Kalamazoo, MI and Wilson, NC and four others will now see the much sought-after 4G symbol, while previously neglected Bay Area centers like San Rafael and Brentwood, along with parts of Greensboro, NC will also get coverage, among others. Meanwhile, the famously-named centers mentioned earlier will get 4G later this summer, along with other notables like Rio Grande Valley, TX, Columbus, IN and yes, Athens TX. It makes us wonder if Ma Bell's getting a little playful with its rollout decisions -- check the PR after the break for more info.
Update: AT&T contacted us to say that they've now launched LTE in six new markets, expanded in another six regions and pre-announced 77 areas that'll receive 4G by the end of this summer. The PR has been updated with a comprehensive list.
AT&T 4G LTE Coming To Texarkana This Summer
TEXARKANA, Texas, April 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- AT&T* plans to roll out 4G LTE in Texarkana this summer, bringing customers the latest generation of wireless network technology and faster mobile Internet speeds from the nation's fastest 4G LTE network**.
LTE technology is capable of delivering speeds faster than many other mobile Internet technologies***. Customers will be able to stream, download, upload and game faster than ever before on the latest 4G LTE-compatible smartphones, tablets and devices.
"Texarkana enjoys AT&T's fast 4G speeds today as part of the nation's largest 4G network, and our teams will be working hard across the city toward our upcoming 4G LTE launch," said Ed Drilling , president of AT&T Arkansas. "AT&T customers in Texarkana can look forward to even faster speeds by the end of the summer, on our leading lineup of smartphones, tablets and other devices."
AT&T 4G LTE Expands In San Francisco Bay Area
More customers in San Rafael, Pittsburg, Antioch, Livermore, Brentwood, and Novato to benefit from nation's fastest 4G LTE network on the latest devices
SAN FRANCISCO, April 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- AT&T* has expanded the nation's fastest 4G LTE network** in the San Francisco Bay Area, bringing more customers the latest generation of wireless network technology. AT&T launched 4G LTE inSan Francisco on January 5, 2012, and the expanded coverage is part of its ongoing rollout across the market.
AT&T 4G LTE coverage now includes parts of San Rafael, Pittsburg, Antioch, Livermore, Brentwood, and Novato.
Watch here to see several of the benefits AT&T 4G LTE provides, including:
- Faster speeds. LTE technology is capable of delivering mobile Internet speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G***. Customers can stream, download, upload and game faster than ever before.
- Cool new devices. AT&T offers several LTE-compatible devices, including new AT&T 4G LTE smartphones and tablets.
- Faster response time. LTE technology offers lower latency, or the processing time it takes to move data through a network, such as how long it takes to start downloading a webpage or file once you've sent the request. Lower latency helps to improve services like mobile gaming, two-way video calling and telemedicine.
- More efficient use of spectrum. Wireless spectrum is a finite resource, and LTE uses spectrum more efficiently than other technologies, creating more space to carry data traffic and services and to deliver a better network experience.
"We've seen positive response from customers on our 4G LTE launch, and as today's expansion shows, we're continuing our rollout of fast 4G LTE speeds to more areas of the San Francisco Bay Area," said Terry Stenzel , AT&T Vice President and General Manager for Northern California and Northern Nevada.
Today we've announced 4G LTE launches in:
· Jackson, TN - http://www.att.com/gen/press-
· Kalamazoo, MI - http://www.att.com/gen/press-
· Napa, CA - http://www.att.com/gen/press-
· Orangeburg, SC - http://www.att.com/gen/press-
· Rocky Mount-Wilson, NC - http://www.att.com/gen/press-
· Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA - http://www.att.com/gen/press-
And expansion in these 4G LTE markets
· Charleston, SC expansion (Walterboro)
· Greensboro, NC expansion (Rockingham/Reidsville)
· Knoxville, TN expansion (Crossville)
· Memphis, TN expansion (Somerville)
· New Haven, CT expansion (Oxford)
· Norfolk, VA expansion
LTE Pre-Announcements 1. Florence / Muscle Shoals, AL 2. Huntsville, AL 3. Monroeville / Evergreen, AL 4. Troy / Greenville, AL 5. Tuscaloosa, AL 6. Flagstaff, AZ 7. Chico, CA 8. Merced, CA 9. Visalia, CA 10. Dover, DE 11. Lake City, FL 12. Ocala, FL 13. Hancock, GA 14. Jefferson / Commerce (Jackson County), GA 15. Valdosta, GA 16. Davenport, IA 17. Champaign, IL 18. Rockford, IL 19. Columbus, IN 20. Fort Wayne, IN 21. Manhattan, KS 22. Topeka, KS 23. Elizabethtown, KY 24. New Iberia, LA 25. Shreveport, LA 26. Cape Cod, MA 27. Leonardtown, MD 28. Flint, MI 29. Lansing, MI 30. Muskegon, MI 31. Saginaw, MI 32. Duluth, MN 33. Cape Girardeau, MO 34. Columbia, MO 35. Biloxi/Gulfport, MS 36. Corinth / New Albany, MS 37. Greenwood / Cleveland, MS 38. Meridian / Philadelphia, MS 39. Asheville, NC 40. Goldsboro, NC 41. Kinston, NC 42. Portsmouth, NH 43. Atlantic City, NJ 44. Millville, NJ 45. Southern NJ Shore Points, NJ 46. Farmington, NM 47. Gallup, NM 48. Batavia, NY 49. Cortland, NY 50. Seneca Falls, NY 51. Dayton, OH 52. Wooster, OH 53. Youngstown, OH 54. Salem, OR 55. Williamsport, PA 56. Anderson, SC 57. Chattanooga, TN 58. Cookeville, TN 59. Athens, TX 60. Brownsville-Harlingen, TX 61. Corsicana, TX 62. Huntsville, TX 63. Laredo, TX 64. Lufkin-Nacogdoches, TX 65. McAllen, TX 66. Paris, TX 67. Sherman-Denison, TX 68. Texarkana, TX 69. Victoria, TX 70. St. Croix, US Virgin Islands 71. St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands 72. Petersburg, VA 73. Roanoke, VA 74. Spokane, WA 75. Huntington, WV 76. Morgantown, WV 77. Laramie, WY