The physical retail sales sector of the U.S. video game industry pulled in 10 percent less coin than it did during the same five-week period in 2012, amassing a total of $992.5 million between March 3 and April 6, 2013. Hardware sales took the biggest hit out of the three monitored retail sub-categories, bringing in a total of $221.6 million, a 32 percent year-over-year decrease. Microsoft's Xbox 360 claimed its 27th month as the best-selling console in America, selling 261,000 units, down 13.5 percent from last month.
Meanwhile, overall physical software sales (console, portable and PC games) outperformed March 2012 by two percent: $602.4 million in 2013, as compared with last a total of $592.2 million in sales last March.
BioShock Infinite took an immediate victory over the rest of the period's release calendar, with Tomb Raider and Gears of War: Judgment rounding out the podium lineup. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon placed sixth overall; we learned yesterday it has sold 415,000 units. Though that figure's retail-to-digital ratio remains undefined, the "vast majority" of sales took place at retail, according to Nintendo's Scott Moffit.
As always, jump on through for the top 10 best-selling games of March, 2013.
- Bioshock Infinite (360, PS3, PC)
- Tomb Raider (360, PS3)
- Gears of War: Judgment (360)
- God of War: Ascension (PS3)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (360, PS3, PC, NWU)
- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
- MLB 13: The Show (PS3, PSV)
- NBA 2k13 (360, PS3, WII, NWU, PSP, PC)
- The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (360, PS3, NWU)
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (360, PS3)
- Key specs
- Reviews • 104
- Game format Downloadable, Cartridge
- Screen size 3.53 inches
- Online features Multiplayer, Store, Browser
- Direction control D-pad, Thumb stick (1)
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Camera / optical
- Dimensions 0.8 x 5.3 x 2.9 in
- Weight 8 oz
- Released 2011-03-27
Sony PlayStation 3 (late 2012)
Sony PlayStation Portable PSP-2000
Nintendo Wii console
Nintendo Wii U
Microsoft Xbox One