It is reported that the two girls were locked in the couple's mobile home while said couple played World of Warcraft. The home was highly unsanitary. When police arrived, they reported that it was covered in mold, cobwebs, trash and even feces, and lacked a working toilet. The girls themselves were malnourished, with matted hair, rotted teeth and dirt crusted on their feet. The girls, who were related to the couple, were not permitted to leave the mobile home for any reason, including school.
While mass media may be quick to hop on the bandwagon of blaming World of Warcraft for tragic events such as these, it is an unfortunate truth that abuse happens with or without video games as part of the equation. World of Warcraft is not to blame for this couple's neglect of these children. Parenting and World of Warcraft can actually work really well together, in the right hands.