At Nintendo's E3 presentation that's not actually happening at E3, we've heard the next installment of the Mario Kart series is coming to the Wii U sometime in spring 2014. Mario Kart 8 doesn't stray too far from what fans expect of the casual racer, but there is one new twist. Courses now have 3D aspects to them, allowing you to "defy gravity, racing up vertical walls and upside down." Features like air gliding, underwater racing and the option to ride motorcycles have been included from previous games, but apart from that, it's standard red-shelling carnage. We didn't hear much about online multiplayer, but we're told it "will have deep integration with Miiverse." Head past the break for the E3 trailer.
Follow all of our E3 2013 coverage at our event hub.
Mario Kart 8 Nintendo Direct trailer
- Key specs
- Reviews • 54
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 8 GB
- Controller type Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic, Camera / optical
- Video outputs Component, HDMI (v1.4), RCA / composite, S-Video
- Backward compatible 1 generations
- Released 2012-11-18