It was a wild few days at this year's Electronics Entertainment Expo. Just think -- nearly a decade after the last generation of consoles was unveiled by Microsoft and Sony, we've gotten our first close-up look at the next generation. Unlike 2012's lackluster showing, the convention floor felt invigorating for gamers waiting on the next reveals for Xbox One and PS4. While Nintendo tried keep steam going for its Wii U, the teams at Oculus Rift and Ouya brought light to the recent rise of indies and startups.
As Engadget staffers board planes for our respective trips back to HQ, we're leaving you, dear readers, with a carefully collated collection of the big show's highlights -- and of course, a number of feature stories and interviews. We've also put together a recap video with Joystiq Reviews Editor Richard Mitchell wherein we recount the show with our best attempts at witty banter. Join us past the break and relive all the virtual magic.
- Sony E3 2013 PlayStation briefing roundup: PS4 takes E3 with $399 price tag
- Sony E3 2013 PlayStation liveblog!
- Sony PlayStation 4 price: $399
- Sony DualShock 4 hands-on
- PlayStation 4 console hardware finally revealed
- Sony PlayStation 4 eyes-on
- Sony announces GTA V exclusive PS3 bundle and headset, coming September 17th for $299
- Sony PS4 will support used games with no restrictions
- The PS4 won't be region-locked
- PS4 now available for pre-order on Amazon at $399 (update: more retailers)
- PlayStation 4 hands-on: DualShock 4 and games (video)
- PS4 video reveals UI for sharing gameplay videos, multitasking, making friends
- Let's take a closer look at the PlayStation 4, DualShock 4 and PS4 Eye (video)
- Watch Sony's E3 2013 press conference right here beginning at 9PM ET
- Sony PlayStation 4 gaming roundup (hands-on)
- Sony to bring original programming to PS4 and PSN
- Redbox Instant, Flixster to join Sony's own live event streaming service on PS3, PS4 and PlayStation Vita
- PS4 to require PS Plus membership for multiplayer play
- PlayStation Plus membership will carry over from PS3 to PS4
- Sony will launch cloud gaming service for PS3, PS4 and Vita in 2014
- Microsoft E3 2013 Xbox liveblog!
- Microsoft announces Xbox One price: $499, launches in November
- Early Xbox One buyers to get Day One Edition consoles
- Xbox One Upload Studio lets you share your gameplay vids, live streams through Twitch
- Xbox 360 gets a One-like redesign, is available today
- Xbox One games roundup from Microsoft's E3 keynote
- Project Spark lets users build game worlds with Kinect voice control and SmartGlass
- Microsoft Points from Xbox 360 transfer to Xbox One as real money, 'equal or greater in Marketplace value'
- Xbox chief: we have a product for people who can't get online, it's called Xbox 360
- Xbox One SmartGlass hands-on (video)
- SmartGlass for Xbox One detailed: offers gamers in-game purchases, multiplayer control and gameplay tips
- Xbox Live to ditch Microsoft Points, switch to local currencies
- Watch Nintendo's E3 2013 presentation here! (updated)
- A quick walk through Nintendo's E3 2013 Wii U lineup
- Nintendo sees Mario and Zelda giving Wii U a big boost, 3DS continuing to grow
- Nintendo to release its first free-to-play game by March 2014
- Super Mario 3D World announced for Wii U, coming this December
- The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker HD launches in October, boasts faster sailing
- Mario Kart 8 launching on Wii U in spring 2014
- Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS coming in 2014, brings Megaman along for the ride
- Nintendo says Wii Fit U now delayed until December
Games and content
- Transistor coming to the PS4, Sony doubles down on indie games
- Ubisoft E3 2013 liveblog!
- Hands-on with EVR, a spaceship dogfighting game demo built for Oculus Rift
- Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 announced for PlayStation 4
- Ubisoft announces Rabbids Invasion 'interactive TV show' coming to Xbox One
- Electronic Arts E3 2013 liveblog!
- EA announces Mirror's Edge 'reboot' for next-gen consoles (video)
- Star Wars Battlefront game under development at DICE (video)
- Crytek's CryEngine 3 supports PlayStation 4, surprises no one
- Sony announces PS Plus edition of Driveclub will be free for a year
- Quantic Dream's The Dark Sorcerer demo highlights PS4's graphics power
- Elder Scrolls Online coming to the PS4 in the spring
- Xbox Live will offer two free games per month starting July, includes Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain coming to Xbox One, not an exclusive
- World of Tanks heads to consoles for the first time on the Xbox 360
- Killer Instinct returns as an Xbox One exclusive title
- Crytek's Ryse: Son of Rome demoed for Xbox One, available as launch title
- Minecraft coming to Xbox One with expanded multiplayer features
- Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive is our first look at a cloud-infused Xbox One game
- Next-gen Halo title announced for Xbox One: runs at 60 fps, available in 2014
- Respawn Entertainment unveils Titanfall, an Xbox One exclusive
- EA's CTO Rajat Taneja and COO Peter Moore on plans for next-gen and Origin
- Talking Frostbite, Battlefield 4 and Mirror's Edge 2 with EA DICE's big boss (video)
- Sony's Shuhei Yoshida talks Remote Play ubiquity on PlayStation 4, not bundling the Eye with the console
- Nintendo's Eiji Aonuma on the Wii U's stumbles, Virtual Console support and a 'need to evolve'
- AMD's Saeid Moshkelani on building custom silicon for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Wii U
- Peter Molyneux talks next-gen consoles, communal gaming and Oculus Rift
- PlayStation 4's Shuhei Yoshida on Oculus Rift: We have dev kits, 'I love it'
- Microsoft's Marc Whitten on all things Xbox One (video)
Startups and peripherals
- Unu Android tablet / console hands-on (video)
- Polk Audio Xbox N1 sound bar and 133t gaming headphones eyes-on
- Creative Labs rolls out
- Sound Blaster EVO gaming headsets with Axx processing
- Nyko PlayPad Pro 2 hands-on
- Nyko's Smart Clip brings the second screen to your controller (hands-on)
- E3 organizers set the fuzz on OUYA over parking lot cheekiness
- Mad Catz F.R.E.Q. 4D headphones ears-on
- Mad Catz Arcade Fightstick for Xbox One eyes-on (video)
- Mad Catz confirms M.O.J.O. Android 'micro console'
- Mad Catz reveals four new gaming headsets, keyboard at E3
- Nyko's Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Charge Base peripherals (eyes-on)
- Nyko reveals new accessories for Xbox One, PS4 and NVIDIA Shield
- Turtle Beach outs Xbox One headsets, Call of Duty: Ghosts- and Marvel-branded cans
- Hands-on with the Ouya destined for store shelves
- Virtuix Omni VR treadmill shows up at E3, we go feet-on (video)
- AblePlanet's haptic headset adopts Linx Fusion moniker, we go hands-on
- Oculus Rift HD prototype VR headset appears at E3, we go hands (and eyes) on (update: video)
- Hands-on with Hyperkin's Retron 5: emulating nine classic consoles with help from Android
- Hyperkin teases pixelated SNES-style USB / Bluetooth gamepads at E3 (hands-on)
- Dell unveils redesigned Alienware 14, 17 and 18 gaming notebooks, available now from $1,199 (hands-on)
- MSI's 14-inch GE40 gaming laptop priced at $1,300 with specs to take on Alienware
- Visualized: SpaceX Dragon capsule at E3
- LG brings Ubitus' GameNow cloud gaming to Smart TVs in the US
- Visualized: The lunacy of E3, live from Nintendo
- Engadget and Joystiq's Sony PlayStation pre-event broadcast: live from E3
- Engadget and Joystiq's Microsoft event wrap-up broadcast: live from E3!
- Engadget and Joystiq's Microsoft pre-event broadcast: live from E3!
- We're live from E3 2013 in Los Angeles!
Edgar Alvarez, Todd Thoenig, Benjamin Harrison, Richard Mitchell and Benjamin Gilbert contributed to this feature.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 87
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 500 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic, Camera / optical
- Video outputs HDMI
- Weight 6.17 lb
- Released 2013-11-15
Microsoft Xbox One