"The early response to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y not only reaffirms the ongoing passion of Pokémon fans," said (a beaming) Nintendo President Satoru Iwata, "But also indicates that an entirely new generation of gamers is eager to experience the franchise for itself."
Nintendo's figures may represent shipments rather than direct sales, but either way four million-plus in just two days is very impressive. [Update: Nintendo has confirmed this is four million copies sold to consumers.] As are the games themselves, having earned four and a half stars in our review. The series transition to 3DS was a mega-evolution according to Earnest, who said X and Y are "hands-down the best in the series."
- Key specs
- Game format Downloadable, Cartridge
- Screen size 3.53 inches
- Online features Multiplayer, Store, Browser
- Direction control D-pad, Thumb stick (1)
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Camera / optical
- Dimensions 0.8 x 5.3 x 2.9 in
- Weight 8 oz
- Released 2011-03-27