Question for the Q: What is your obsession with Captain Picard?
Answer: I'm not. If I had to pick a Captain, I'd go with Captain Janeway, because Kate Mulgrew is awesome. But were I being totally
honest, I don't particularly care about Star Trek. It's never been that important to me. Now, if it had been all about the Gorn, then maybe.
Or the dinosaur people from that one episode of Voyager. Or both.
Which is better from the shrines on the Timeless Isle? The +20% to stats or the 15% buff to damage?
It would really depend on your class. For a warrior, esp. a DPS warrior, Chi'ji's 25% chance to crit is godly. I annihilate elites like they're nothing when I get that buff. I'd rather have that than anything else, because crit is a warrior's main vice. If I were a caster, I might rather have the overall damage buff, but 20% to stats is pretty good for just about anyone - still, I don't think it'll equate to a flat 15% damage.
So you can't close the Dark Portal ... but can you redirect it to the surface of the sun? Once you've evacuated the Draenei with Tempest Keep, I see no problems at all with turning Garrosh's Iron Horde into the Molten Iron Horde with a nice bath of superheated plasma.
That assumes a lot.
- It assumes that stars are the same in the Warcraft setting as they are in reality. I don't know about you, but I have no evidence to support that. For all I know, the sun is a portal to the Firelands. I've been to the Firelands - it's hot, yeah, but it's not like I died as soon as I zoned in.
- It assumes we can redirect the portal. Garrosh has managed to do it, but we don't know how yet - it's unlikely we'll be able to immediately do it, when for all we know it takes him and his ally several years to do so from their perspective. In the meantime, the Iron Horde will still be invading.
- It assumes we're using the Dark Portal to get there, and then it assumes it's still open. We have no idea how it is that the starting zones for Alliance and Horde are so far apart and why they're not at all near the Dark Portal's location in our world. It's possible you play someone stranded in Draenor for game purposes, I really don't know yet and neither do you.
- Maybe we can't just mess with the Dark Portal and go home because if we do, that leaves the Iron Horde to come up with another way to invade our world. There are other means to travel between dimensions - Oshu'gun, for instance, is a crashed naaru dimension ship, and Garrosh might well go stripmine the thing and just teleport here for all we know.
- I actually want to have a cool expansion where we go do fun things instead of constantly try and be clever and not have an expansion. "Why don't we build a Stargate style iris? Why don't we put a giant mage portal in front of it?" Because that's awful. People don't do crap like that in Warcraft. They go kill the things messing with them, they don't try and avoid fighting them. If you want, I can come up with reasons you can't build an iris over the portal or fill it with rocks or redirect it to the sun, but the ultimate reason is always going to be 'Because that would be avoiding a fight, and Warcraft is always about not avoiding a fight.'
Q4tQ: Given what we know about WoD, what are the things you are most eager to try out on the PTR/Beta?
Man, I want to see Karabor. I want to go to Shadowmoon Valley and, on my draenei warrior I want to stand on the steps of the temple and then walk down and kill me some Iron Horde. I want to see the draenei not battered, not nearly destroyed, not on the verge of extinction, but fighting, and I want to fight alongside them.
That's what I want to do most of all. I want to save Karabor.
Potions don't seem to be working right for the Brewmaster Monk I've been leveling. She's 55 right now, and she's still carrying around the level 35 Superior Healing Potions, because higher level potions heal her for less or the same. Superior pots heal her for a bit shy of 1000, which fits with their tooltip on Wowhead (which shows a range of 862 to 1107). A Major pot (with a range of 1050 to 1749, according to Wowhead) only healed her for about 500, and Super pots (with a range of 1501 to 2500) only heal 1000.