The Apple Wireless Keyboard is great for use with a Mac, with long battery life, a great key feel and a compact size that makes it unobtrusive on a desktop. So why not use it with your iPhone or iPad? Unless you have some way to prop up the device behind the keyboard, it's going to be pretty uncomfortable to use. That's the reason behind the Nimblstand (US$39.99, or $56.99 with a Wacom Bamboo Stylus included), a device stand that's designed to make it easy to use the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Wacom Bamboo Stylus with your favorite tablet or smartphone.
Dimensions: 11" wide x 5.85" deep x .85" max thickness (27.9 x 14.9 x 2.2 cm)
Weight: 7.05 ounces (200 grams) with stylus, 6.20 ounces (17.8 grams) without stylus
Material: Made of recyclable ABS plastic. Packaging is simple cardboard and paper, and is recyclable as well.
The Nimblstand was designed prior to the release of the iPad Air with its much thinner bezel. Rather than change the design, the manufacturers include an "iPad Air Sustainability Kit" consisting of four adhesive pads that give the iPad Air a bit more height when used in landscape mode in the Nimblstand. The stand works with devices that are protected by an Apple Smart Case or Smart Cover.
For transport or use as a stand with the Wacom Bamboo Stylus, the back portion (extension wedge) of the Nimblstand is removable and can be stored underneath the Apple Wireless Keyboard out of sight. When using the stylus, there's even an "inkwell" where you can place it when you're using the keyboard, and it clips into a special channel for transport.
Why did the manufacturers design this for the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Wacom Bamboo Stylus? Easy -- they rightly consider those to be "best in class" products in their respective categories.
There are some little details that are quite amazing on the Nimblstand, like the fact that there's a tiny hole in the top side so you can see the power light on the keyboard, or the slight curve in the center for the home button when your device is in portrait orientation.
The Nimblstand is extremely sturdy, yet lightweight. It doesn't use any gimmicks to hold your device in place, just good old gravity. It makes the Apple Wireless Keyboard wonderfully usable with your iOS device on desktop or in your lap.
The Nimblstand is one of those products that you look at and ask "Why didn't somebody think of this before?" The simple design works perfectly with your existing Apple Wireless Keyboard to let you use that keyboard with your iPad or iPhone, providing a stable and easily transportable stand for the iOS device. It will work with future devices, although it would need to be redesigned if the Apple Wireless Keyboard is ever changed. It's reasonably priced as well, particularly when the Wacom Bamboo Stylus is included.
Rating: 4 stars (out of 4 stars possible)
- Felix TwoHands II (Nov. 15, 2013)
- Slope iPad Stand (Nov. 4, 2013)
- The Coburns (Nov. 15, 2013)
- Bracketron Nanotek Stand (June 17, 2013)
- Boomerang (July 31, 2013)
- Rain Design iSlider (Feb. 26, 2013)
- Chef Sleeve Dishwasher Safe iPad Stand (Feb. 8, 2013)
In keeping with our editorial policy, we are giving away our review Nimblstand. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before January 6, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a Nimblstand with Wacom Bamboo Stylus valued at $56.99
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 12
- Form factor Tablet
- Operating system iOS (8)
- Screen size 9.7 inches
- Storage type Internal storage (16 GB, Flash)
- Maximum battery life Up to 10 hours
- Dimensions 9.4 x 6.6 x 0.24 in
- Weight 0.96 lb
- Announced 2014-10-16
Apple iPhone 6