"Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business," Iwata said. "It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone."
Nintendo took its 3DS projections for the fiscal year down from 18 million to 13.5 million. However, the bigger hit came with decreased projections for its home console, taking the Wii U down from 9 million to 2.8 million for the year.
"We cannot continue a business without winning," Iwata added. "We must take a skeptical approach whether we can still simply make game players, offer them in the same way as in the past for 20,000 yen or 30,000 yen, and sell titles for a couple of thousand yen each."
- Key specs
- Game format Downloadable, Cartridge
- Screen size 3.53 inches
- Online features Multiplayer, Store, Browser
- Direction control D-pad, Thumb stick (1)
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Camera / optical
- Dimensions 0.8 x 5.3 x 2.9 in
- Weight 8 oz
- Released 2011-03-27
Nintendo Wii U