The device's UI includes sections for movies, television, apps and photos in addition to games. Among the app icons shown during Amazon's presentation were Twitch, WWE Network, Watch ESPN, Netflix and Hulu Plus. Amazon said it is "starting off with Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video of course, and we're rolling in other partners over time." As for the games available on Fire TV, the device will host "thousands" from publishers like EA and Ubisoft, and will include Minecraft shortly after it launches.
Earlier in March, we got a look at what Amazon's Bluetooth gamepads might look like. The company founded Amazon Game Studios in 2012 and acquired Double Helix, the studio behind Killer Instinct, in February.
Update: The Amazon Fire TV will cost $99 and is available to purchase today on Amazon's store.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 5
- Type Audio / video player
- Video services Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Other
- Audio services Pandora, Other
- Video codec support h.264 / AVC, MPEG-4, VC-1
- Audio codec support AAC, MP3
- Video outputs HDMI (1 outputs, v1.4)
- Audio outputs TOSLINK (optical)
- Released 2014-04-02