Sometimes you need to capture video of your Mac's screen, either to show someone a troublesome error or a quick how-to for a friend or family member. You can purchase a dedicated screencasting app like Camtasia, but for most casual users, QuickTime's screen record feature will fit the bill.
To access QuickTime's recording feature, you'll need to open the QuickTime Player app and follow the instructions below:
- Prepare the app you want to record by opening it and getting the content in place. For example, opening the webpage tabs you want to record.
- Go to the QuickTime Player app and select File > New Screen Recording.
- Select the audio source by clicking on the downward-pointing arrow and select the option to record or ignore mouse clicks.
- Click the red record button and follow the instructions to record either the full screen or just a small selection.
- Start recording your screen and use the stop button in the menu bar (or Command-Control-Escape) to halt the recording when you are done.
When you are done, you can trim the clip, upload it to YouTube or import it into iMovie for some post-processing.