"Regardless of where the reality is, there's definitely a perception among gamers that better hardware means you have an advantage," Wolfson explained. "We don't want to have to enter that fray, so to create the best, most level playing field, both actually and perceptually, we separated it by platform."
Wolfson provided a hypothetical example of snipers aiming at each other while using two different consoles. The one playing on older hardware might see their target as two pixels, while the modern console's output could paint a target twice as wide.
Speaking of pixels, Xbox One users will be missing out on a few when their Destiny beta launches on July 23, but Bungie is still aiming for 1080p with the final version for all consoles.
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25
Sony PlayStation 4
Microsoft Xbox One