The Wii was, undoubtedly, the success story of the previous console generation, encouraging millions of novice gamers to wave their arms around like a crazy person. The Wii U’s big gimmick, touchscreen gaming, made plenty of sense, considering the quantity of mobile and DS users out there, but it never seemed to take off in the same way. Launching well ahead of the Xbone and PS4, the general opinion of our reviewer was that it simply wasn’t ready for the big time, and sales seem to have backed that up. A year has passed now, so it’s high time that we asked you what Nintendo should have done differently?
1. Developer Hostile: The system isn't in any way like the other two systems on the market that it competes with. It has less memory, a significantly slower processor, a slower graphics part, little local storage, and a peripheral that developers have to try and develop around too. Developers have to go significantly out of their way to port a game onto this system.
2. No Apparent Differentiation Between Wii and Wii U: People thought that the Wii U was an add-on to the original Wii. Re-branding the system under a different name... or even using "Wii 2" would have made this more apparent.
3. Half-Assed Implementation of Online Features: I mean seriously - the purchases made on a NNID are still hardware bound!?
Actually the Wii U is a bit more powerful, not by much, than the two systems it was designed to compete with. Unfortunately those two systems are the PS3 and the 360, it may be touted as an 8th gen console but it was designed on and meant to compete with 7th gen hardware.
Agreed, games like WarioWare's Sketch, prove that for gaming, and especially drawing, using a stylus is easier and better. I'm fine with the resistive screen, as I'm sure it would have cost too much to get a Wacom-type stylus and screen on the gamepad.
Nintendo should stop the half-ass design. Where they tout the family feature yet leaving the Wii-U with only one tablet console. First N said they can support two units. Later they backtrack to one. Pricing for the N console is not any cheaper than XBox or PS. Put some more hardware to provide family features. Another thing is Mario. The kids can only put up wt so many iteration. Otherwise, interface is great.
It's still not cheap enough for a system that, let's face it, you only buy to play Mario Kart. The Wii sold 100m units because it was a price inoffensive enough that you could buy one AND either an Xbox or PS3, and a good impulse purchase
$300 isn't cheap when you look at what systems it was designed to compete with, that being the PS3 and the 360 both of which are less than $300 and come with two games. The Wii U much like the Wii isn't designed to compete with current gen consoles after all the Wii was basically a Game Cube with a bigger disk drive, an sd card reader, a motion controller, and built in wi-fi. The Wii U is far from an 8th gen console in capabilities so comparing it to one is far fetched.
- I wish they updated Mii's overall design just a tad bit. - Made it easier for third parties to port their games onto the console. I am actually alright with wanting to playing the Wii U just for Nintendo their own games, but I can see that this had caused the company a lot of issues. - Maybe a tad bit more processing power. Wish they could of made Zelda Hyrule Warriors look a lot better. Hopefully it'll be able to render better lighting and more objects because I think they game looks so flat and squarish so far. - Faster loading time.
Other than that, I love it. I hope it succeeds despite how it appears to be doing so far like the 3DS did.
Don't call it the Wii U. Many laypeople don't even realize it's a new system and think it's just a new accessory for their existing Wii. And for those gamers who know it's a new system, the name really just serves to remind them how they got burned by the last system's lack of serious games.
personaly i love my wii u and wouldnt change it at all. People didnt give it time or even tried it. Its fun to play when you have a couple of friends over . The pad is curently beside my desktop and i play my classics on the pad with the wii u pro controler. classics like super metroid , super mario world recently metroid fusion and advance wars i love it. The thing that is keeping nintendo back is the lack of hardware compared to the other 2 consoles. But nintendo said when the wii came out that they didnt care for the console race anymore but even thought they said that people are still comparing it to the ps4 and xbone. Seriously i think its the best console supplement to a gaming pc
The reason I compare the Wii-U to Xbox and PS, because I have all 3 consoles. In fact, I have multiple generations of the consoles: XBox, Xbox 360(1,2,3), PS 1/2/3, Nintendo Game Cube/Wii/Wii-U. Still on the fence for the new XBox One and PS4. As for Nintendo handheld, from the first to the latest iteration.
The Wii-U hardware initially said to handle 2 tablet consoles. I was sold on it. Then I was disappointed when I learn later on that N decided the hardware can't handle 2nd tablet too well. So, N announce it's only for one tablet console. Oh well, water under the bridge. I'll be more cautious wt Nintendo console next release before jump in.
With the high cost of console games, my kids are moving towards Steam. Occasionally pick up some exclusive titles for each console.
I would change its design. It looks cheap. I had a Wii and its user interface SUCKED, not sure if it got any better on the Wii U. The controller/tablet doesn't look appealing in terms of comfort. It looks heavy and awkward. They don't have any new original titles that make me want to get one. All they continue to do is churn out the same Smash Bros and Mario Party and slap a different number at the end. Microsoft NAILED it with SmartGlass. Nintendo should EXTEND their Wii U software to other devices.
I think that Nintendo's main issue selling it's console It's the CPU architecture that was built in. That made third party developers stay away from deving for the Wii U, besides that It's comparatively underpowered. It's just too much of a hassle rewriting a whole game for questionable profit margins. They should have gone x86 but... this would have made it incompatible with Wii games and harder for Nintendo to do NES, SNES, N64 and GameCube emulators.
I would have left out the whole tablet thing, focused on refining the Wii motion capture experience, and would have gone the first-gen PS3 way having both the original Wii CPU for backwards compatibility and a new, more powerful, x86 CPU on par with PS4/XB1. They could have used the 3DS as the tablet controller and sold even more hardware.
The tablet per say is not that bad but, it makes manufacturing the console much more expensive. Many x86 emulators exist for many other platforms thanks to the awesome community of developers that takes this as a hobby. Nintendo already have all this emulators working well for the Wii platform. So, including the Wii CPU would have taken a huge burden of their backs.
wing. I would like to see Nintendo give the Mario and gang a rest. Make him special again. When Metroid Prime came out it blew me away and I loved it. Because the game was a fan service as well as cutting edge visuals. I hope one day Nintendo realizes that gamer's such as myself , love RPG's, Fighting Games, Shooters, Action Adventure, Puzzle, Racing, Survival Horror, Indie, Stealth Gameplay, etc. I would never say don't make Nintendo Style Games. I would simply ask, give me a an amazing controller, no motion, just perfect d pad, and perfect button placement, and response. I ask they stop forgetting about people like myself who yes over time have different tastes in games. I ask they focus on bringing the eco system, the online , and experience on the same level as Playstation Network, and Xbox Live. I ask simply they return to the playing field and come out with a non Wii unit. I would like to see see them return to the Nintendo of the Super Nintendo days. That was one of the best systems of all time, and I was proud to have it. It's time to bring back fans like me. Show me the next gen Zelda, make it a big map like Skyrim, show me the Metroid, Show me the games I have loved in beautiful , gorgeous graphics. If they can;t do that then make a new system that is focused on 2D gaming with the most beautiful graphics like braid , and children of light. Nintendo, Please come back to those who loved you the most.
I think they need a Mario with every console, it just feels natural. But I agree they are using Mario and crew a whole lot. A new dedicated Mario game should have shipped with Wii U, not New Super Mario Brothers.
I love my Wii U as much as I love my Xbox One and PS4 but there are a few things that I would like to change given the chance.
Make it DLNA capable, I mean almost everything this time and day is DLNA capable.
Blu Ray capable
Using External USB hard drives should be easier that what it is now, why does it have to be formatted in a specific format for the wii u???
Games, for god's sake, stop the family game shenanigans, stop making primarily kiddie games, they are fun for a while but then they get old, I mean up til this day, in my opinion, nothing beats ZombieU, I can play this game over and over and over againand every time it is just as scary, this is the kind of games we like to see on the Wii U.
Make more than one Wii U gamepad available to be played on the wii u at the same time, I mean why not!!!!
Mii Verse is ugly as hell, how about some innovation in that department.
And most importantly, how about BIGGER hard drive capacity, I mean 32 and 64 GB on a console when the operation system takes almost half of that????
It's a great capable console and actually some games look better on the Wii U than it did on my previous PS3 and Xbox 360, Nintedo need to put its all into the Wii U, and how about that outrageous price??? I bought my Deluxe version for over $400 when it first came out because I had high hopes for this one and I believed in them and still do, have more adult original games instead of porting games for the ps3 and xbox 360 on te wii u. This is my 2 cents on this subject.
1. The wii u marketing was an epic fail. 2. Love my Wii U - it is the same generation as PS3 Grapics & hardware are behind PS4 generation. 3. Wii U is cheaper and games are discounted ! 4. PS4 is killing Xbox one for first place withe the Hardcore crowd. 5. Nintendo is desperately trying to catch up with Indie & Retro releases variety on eShop. 6. Wii U will never sell as well as Wii. 7. The backwards compatability of Wii remotes & Wii games upscaling to 1080p has not been promoted. 8. The Gamepad works amazing when programmed e.g. Rayman Wii U but the standard battery is another fail. 9. In 4-5 years when the new Nintendo "FUSION" console arrives it cannot be a generation behind & must integrate with Nintendo wireless handhelds. 10. Nintendo is trying to make the Wii U development easier & port games to the system with the UNITY program but still running a distant 3rd in consumer preferences 11. ASAP we need NEW >>> Zelda U, Sonic Boom, Xenoblade2 'X', Metroid U, Smash Bros U, Bayonetta 2, Starfox U, Pandora's Tower 2, Kirby Ultimate Wii U, Star Successor2 U & DeadSpace U, Etc etc etc !
Nintendo has the best 1st party games. So if they made a console on par with the PS4 and XBox One as far as 3rd Party support and online gaming is concerned, they would be dominating the entire market.
I would've made the console so that it could handle TWO touchscreen gamepads right off the bat... and made THAT the main focus and selling point of the console!! Imagine all of the cool things that you could do with TWO gamepads instead of just the one. Launch the system with "Super Mario Galaxy 3"... Mario and Luigi playing at the SAME TIME, each person with their own gamepad!! Make the new exclusive Zelda title TWO PLAYER'S at the same time. Make a new METROID game two players at the same time... you see where I'm going here.
That... plus naming the system something OTHER than "Wii whatever"... and putting enough tech processing power in the darn thing so that it could actually compete with the PS4 and Xbox One. They made enough money with the Wii... why did Nintendo feel that it had to go "so cheap" with the Wii U??? They should've spent that money. Ya, it would've been expensive with TWO gamepads, but if they spent the money and made it a quality product that could compete with the new systems, people would eventually pay for it. If it's a quality product... people will pay for it!
Oh... and make some device so that the Wii U could play ALL of the DS and 3DS games (using the TV as the upper screen, and the gamepad's screen as the lower screen). That would be much like the GBA player that came out for the GameCube years ago. Doing just that would instantly make the Wii U's game library quite extensive indeed!
That would also be super awesome if it worked for 3DS downloads, too. I've gone download-only, and I will not rebuy the same game on multiple systems. Some sort of save file/syncing service would also be much appreciated...
Nintendo never should have left the Gamecube. No real gamer wants a Wii or Wii U or Wii anything. What we all wanted was a Gamecube 2. I want an upgraded gamecube controller and a cube with the power of a Xbox One or PS4 not with the Wii U's current power of last generation.
How would I have changed it, it might be that hindsight is 20:20, but the marketing was the Wii U's biggest problem. When its common place to hear "Why did I get a free Wii with my Wii U?" You know you did SOMETHING wrong. If the marketing was clearer, more would adopt the Wii U, and with Wii U owners having a larger market impact, well more and better games would be made for it.
1. Get rid of the expensive wii u gamepad and bundle in the wii u pro controller instead. To lower the pricepoint of the wii u. 2. Do a major re-haul on the user interface and what not to speed things up. 3. Add achievements not unlike on the ps4 and xbox one. 4. Make an exclusivity deal with capcom(they are hurting very badly right now)/buyout if possible to make future resident evil/megaman/ whatever else Nintendo only. 5. Revamp the Mii's to be more like xbox avatars. Add in the stuff to customize them to you liking etc etc. 6. Along with acquiring Capcom I would spend the money to bring other developers on board. 7. Pokemon MMO(Speaks for itself) 8. Fire all top level management and hire fresh blood. I would suggest Naoki Yoshida as a new CEO. Might be kinda hard to pull him from Square Enix but he was able to turn around a failure of an MMO in only 3 years. 9. IF all else fails look to the future and put out a new console in 2016.
I agree with all of that except no.8 - Nintendo are cultivating new Shigeru Miyamotos every year, this takes time. It's part of Nintendo's ethos to develop talent over many years and play the long game and it's got them where they are today.